Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like any help you guys could give me I have a 1991 tercel 4dr auto and only get about 340 kms on a tank of gas and would like to know what I can do to get better gas milage out of my little tercel also I have just had a tune up done new plugs wires cap rotor fuel filter oil change and it did not make a diffrence please help!!!!!! me. Thanks

·
Registered
45 Posts
re: gas mileage

On your distributor, there is a device called a vacuum advance. This changes the timing slightly under acceleration and deceleration. Try checking this part by using a vacuum gauge. Apply about 5-10 lbs. and watch the gauge, it should hold the vacuum applied to it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
As well, check your vaccuum lines for breaks/leakage. I took the breather assembly off my friends car (after 5 mechanics tried to fix the problem) and found that 5 vaccuum lines were rotted out.
Also, get the timing checked. It made the car a lot better but i'm trying to find a fix for the lack of power on startup.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Have you checked the O2 sensor? This is what tells the ECU how much fuel to inject (or rather how long to stay open). Generally when the O2 sensor fails, your mileage goes down the hopper.

·
2000 Echo
2000 Echo Coupe
30 Posts
Yeah... me too.

Wouldn't an O2 Sensor going out trigger the Check Engine Light? I'm only getting about 25MPG's on my 2000 Echo. I have new Denso Iridium spark plugs, new air filter, new and properly inflated tires, and no check engine light. Any advice?

·
Half a Bubble Off Plumb
2009 Yaris Sedan
138 Posts
An O2 sensor that's really failed will trip the "Check Engine" light, but it can be off enough to seriously impair the engine's running and gas mileage without setting a code. Sometimes just taking one out and thoroughly cleaning it with WD-40, brake cleaner or some similar solvent will fix it, but you probably should just replace it if it's suspect.

·
Half a Bubble Off Plumb
2009 Yaris Sedan
138 Posts
Along the same line, the MAF (mass air flow) sensor in the intake commonly gets dirty and throws the mixture off similarly to the O2 sensor. It can be sprayed clean. There are step by step directions over on yarisworld.com somewhere. Search for MAF.

·
Registered
08 Yaris/01 Echo
219 Posts
Your current mileage seems normal so I think your best bet to increase mileage would be to put tires up to 35psi and start using hypermiling driving techniques, and use synthetic oil.
Here is a forum that can help with hypermiling
http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/
PS>> oops 340kms per tank isnt so normal for summer conditions,should be up around 500kms per tank however its only slightly low if you are referring to short hops around town in the winter..

·
Registered
1990 Toyota Camry LE
159 Posts
I would recommend checking these things

-Don't forget to change your PCV.

- check Vacuum leaks ( I use a hand held propane can and open it up slightly. Then go along the vacuum lines and if your idle picks up you found a leak)

-Ignition Timing

-Tire Pressure

-Alignment??

-Rear Brake adjustment (i.e. over adjusted) Put trans in park. Chock front wheels and lift the rear wheels off. And spin them. No exact deffinition but they should both spin and come to a stop after a few revolutions. If they do now want to spin, you may have to adjust them in.

-Be sure that Ebrake cable is releasing completely.

-Front Brake Drag - put trans in nuetral, set Ebrake, chock rear wheels, and lift the front wheels off the ground. Spin the wheels. They should spin, if one is resisting rotating you may have something to investigate.

-Buy M.A.F. sensor cleaner and clean it off.

-As for the 02 sensor, you can try cleaning them off. However, a new denso O.E. replacement is only 32.00$ off of rockauto.com. I do not know if they ship to canada. I would strongly recomend replacing it.

-Could be injectors dripping from build up ( Fuel Injector Cleaner Service)

-EGR valve may be partially applied from build up.

Hard to say with out looking at the car. Are you having any other symptoms other than poor economy? If so, what conditions do these other problems manifest themselves at?

If you do not have any obvious Mechanical restriction. I'de venture to say you are taking in extra air somewhere and the computer is compensating and adding extra fuel.

Hopefully this will give you a starting point for things to check.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts