Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. Traded in my 2019 Rav 4 Limited Hybrid for a 2020 XLE Highlander Hybrid for more space ( new addition to family) and at 4500 miles only getting 31.7 overall MPG. Very disappointed! My wife drives vehicle in mostly suburb driving..... we’ve done a few highway trips and likely get 32- 34 MPG on those trips going 65mph. I’ve noticed compared to the RAV4 the EV light does not go on as much when vehicle has been driving and battery charging. We drive in sport mode but can this explain the low MPG?

I wanted to put a Thule car rack on. How much would that decrease MPG? Appreciate feedback and experience with this. Thank you.

·
Registered
2020 Highlander Hybrid
1,169 Posts
Sport mode means the ICE is going to be on a lot more so a lot less EV. I’d say the 10-15% fuel economy penalty reflects it accordingly. Don’t use Sport mode for a tank and you can find out for sure. You’ll have to drive like you’re not trying to replicate the performance, though.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Short trips will use more fuel than longer trips. Our 2020 Highlander Hybrid AWD / LE has been averaging over 42 MPG according to fuelly.com under "Pearl". I have noticed on round trips over 50 miles your MPG will gradually go up
when driving at speeds from 30 MPH to 55 MPH. Our last tank with over 500 miles calculated to 47 MPG, now the dash gauge read 45.3 MPG. This is driving in our semi rural area here in northwestern Oregon with the max. speed limit on Highway 101 @ 55 MPH, which is our major highway going through most of our county. Also check you tire pressure ours are all at 50 PSI, max. cold tire pressure is 51 PSI as listed on the tire sidewall...

·
Registered
353 Posts
Hello. Traded in my 2019 Rav 4 Limited Hybrid for a 2020 XLE Highlander Hybrid for more space ( new addition to family) and at 4500 miles only getting 31.7 overall MPG. Very disappointed! My wife drives vehicle in mostly suburb driving..... we’ve done a few highway trips and likely get 32- 34 MPG on those trips going 65mph. I’ve noticed compared to the RAV4 the EV light does not go on as much when vehicle has been driving and battery charging. We drive in sport mode but can this explain the low MPG?

I wanted to put a Thule car rack on. How much would that decrease MPG? Appreciate feedback and experience with this. Thank you.
Well, you drive in Sport mode....
I remember a thread where the husband and wife each had a Prius, and she got 10 mpg less than him, so before they took it to a dealer, they switched cars...now the other car got 10 mpg less...guess which one????
As alster said, inflate the tires.
Short trips really cuts mileage, as does cold weather, and A/C usage.
Reset the average mpg monitor for the next trip.
Nobody excels in anything without some effort. In the link below....how long did this little guy practice this before his performance, as shown? Effort...practice...without these two things...no performance....

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. To clarify, probably in sport mode like 60% of the time. I'll inflate the tires as that needs to be done. I do think the EV light does not go on when it should-such as braking and decelerating after driving around for awhile (vs. the 2019 Rav4 Hybrid I traded in). I'll see where I'm at in several thousand miles but right now only 30.6 miles overall since I last put the post. Even with my wife driving fast, in sport mode and short trips, can't image it being that low MPG as the advertised 35/36 for the Hybrid.....

·
Registered
Highlander Hybrid 2020
448 Posts
I drive ECO mode all the time, except when towing which has to be normal, except while passing a truck uphill and towing which is in sports mode.

I beat (by a thin margin) the announced rating (in ECO mode only). So there is no free lunch: if you want the power, you have to give up the fuel economy!

·
Registered
820 Posts
Even with my wife driving fast, in sport mode and short trips, can't image it being that low MPG as the advertised 35/36 for the Hybrid.....
Actually, 30 - 32 MPG seems reasonable to me given all those variables that you control that are working against getting the 35/36. I know it's easier to think that it's something wrong with the car, but until you've eliminated some of those other variables, it sounds like it's working the way it should.

Reactions: diesel-man

·
Registered
39 Posts
On fuelly.com our current average mpg with our 2020 Highlander Hybrid / LE/ AWD as been over 42 MPG. Mostly due to speeds usually less than 60 mph. Our main highway is Highway 101 on the Northwest Oregon coast, with speeds limited to 55 MPH. Even if we only obtained and average 30 MPG that would be great gas mileage for a full size 8 passenger SUV / AWD.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well thank you 🙏 for recommendations and took your guidance. Inflated tires to 50 psi, all eco driving and followed tank mpg. I realized some of you may have slightly higher mpg with Fwd Drive vs AWD. Rated 35/35 for AWD. So driving mostly highway 75% wuth 70 mph mostly flat and no major hills or passes getting 32mpg for tank.... some trips avg 35mpg. It’s the short “city” driving that cuts miles! We have mostly hills and it eats up the mpg. All in ECO.... again comparing to my trades in 2019 RAV4 Hybrid so have to get over fact not as efficient.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Out of curiosity what mpg were you getting in rav4? I had exact same one which I lemoned for fuel tank issue and with my heavy foot I was getting 30 mpg in city driving

·
Registered
22 Posts
We just got a HH Limited AWD and fuel mpg has been about 31 for the first 500 miles. Does it make a difference on which setting you have your trip setting, of the three choices, Trip, Tank or All? Coming from a Prius, I know how to get maximum mpgs and are pretty disappointed in these numbers. Tires are inflated at 41.

·
Registered
510 Posts
We just got a HH Limited AWD and fuel mpg has been about 31 for the first 500 miles. Does it make a difference on which setting you have your trip setting, of the three choices, Trip, Tank or All? Coming from a Prius, I know how to get maximum mpgs and are pretty disappointed in these numbers. Tires are inflated at 41.
I'm getting around 31-33 mpg. I think your tire pressure is high. It should be around 36 cold. If it's over inflated, you'll have uneven wear and the car will not handle well.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Coast, coast, coast and coast some more There is a real strategy to getting better MPG, use downhills to get some battery charge (if there are any). Cold weather beats up your MPG. Short trips compounds that. Try to combine trips for fewer cold starts. Do all those and keep the top speeds lower (in right lane flowing with traffic when possible and you will get over 40 MPG in summer (without AC)
Try to reach every light where the traffic is almost back up to speed, versus slamming on brakes and then having to use that much more fuel to get back where you just were speed wise.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Coast, coast, coast and coast some more There is a real strategy to getting better MPG, use downhills to get some battery charge (if there are any). Cold weather beats up your MPG. Short trips compounds that. Try to combine trips for fewer cold starts. Do all those and keep the top speeds lower (in right lane flowing with traffic when possible and you will get over 40 MPG in summer (without AC)
Try to reach every light where the traffic is almost back up to speed, versus slamming on brakes and then having to use that much more fuel to get back where you just were speed wise.
Having had a Prius I do all that and my 4 year average for 70k miles was 56 mpg. My Prius gave better mileage in city driving than highway. I would think the Highlander would be the same? Since Toyota rates it at 35/35 city/highway for AWD model.
Since some manufacturers got sued do to overly inflated mpg figures, many posted lower numbers. It appears Toyota did not do that and perhaps has posted numbers that are not achievable by normal driving habits.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Since some manufacturers got sued do to overly inflated mpg figures, many posted lower numbers. It appears Toyota did not do that and perhaps has posted numbers that are not achievable by normal driving habits.
I'm pretty sure the EPA determines mpg results - not the manufacturer. There's a set of tests conducted by EPA that are the same for all cars simulating a city cycle and a highway cycle.

Personally I out performed the EPA estimates during the summer - low 40's for almost every tank and now during cold winter weather in MA I'm getting just about the EPA numbers - low 30's if all driving is just short trips around town but do a few 10+ mile trips and it jumps up to about 35.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
The EPA can't wipe it's ass right with directions. When the Wife bought her 2012 Sorento it was the first year for the GDI engine and was rated at 32 highway. First time I drove it for 90 miles I knew that was fraud, I could barely get 32 at 55 MPH. Her current Rogue rated at the same 32 MPG will pull close to 40 at a steady 55 MPH, with the same highway rating. KIA got sued because they fudged the rolling resistance values for their EPA ratings and they got sued and sent refund checks to owners yearly.
It wasn't enough money and did not even address the effect on resale value due to the lower actual MPG figures. Now she is averaging a little over 31 MPG long term, never did a tank to tank fill to fill calculation. I had my ultra gauge calibrated on the ECHO that the 45 days I drove it on 21.9 gallons used 17.5 gallons and the final calculation was 44.57 at the pump and 44.58 on the gauge, for 780 miles in 45 days almost all winter weather.

·
Registered
2020 Highlander Hybrid
1,169 Posts
You really should do the calculations by hand, paying attention to how you top off the tank, rather than go by what the computer is estimating. Regarding the topping off method, one way to do it is to let the pump shut off automatically, wait 30-60 seconds, and then pump again. Because it’s hard to tell when the tank is full, you almost have to measure average mpg over several tankfulls.

I’m getting 34.9 mpg over 12K miles over 5 months.

·
Registered
22 Posts
You really should do the calculations by hand, paying attention to how you top off the tank, rather than go by what the computer is estimating. Regarding the topping off method, one way to do it is to let the pump shut off automatically, wait 30-60 seconds, and then pump again. Because it’s hard to tell when the tank is full, you almost have to measure average mpg over several tankfulls.

I’m getting 34.9 mpg over 12K miles over 5 months.
Yea good point, I’m going to start using an app to calculate a more accurate number. However, by some post on this forum, the calculator is not usually far off from manual calculations.
Another issue is that the most I’ve gotten on two tanks, is 400 miles to empty. Some get almost 200 miles more. I’ll try top off method. How many gallons do you get in the tank if tank is near empty?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I took a trip across the rural Wisconsin the other day when it was 50° calm wind. Had the cruise control set on 56 miles an hour running rural Country Roads and went through a few small towns and some curvy roads slowed me down a little bit to which always adds to the fuel mileage. I am pretty anxious for summertime and summer gasoline which I think will make things even better. 2021 a
d limitted.

·
Registered
2020 Highlander Hybrid
1,169 Posts
My first topped-off tank ran for 622 miles (Limited AWD in the Fall, mixed driving on Normal) with DTE of 11 miles left. I was able to get 16.7 gallons in. I think my actual tank capacity may be 18 or 19 gallons as there should be at least 2.5 gallons in reserve.

If you really top it off you can get 2-3 more gallons in after the pump stops. However, I’m not topping off that aggressively anymore due to fear of messing up the evap system.

The DTE reading is usually way off in the beginning. After I filled up the first time, above, the DTE read 463 miles which was underestimated what I actually got by about 150 miles. Set a trip odometer after fill-up and you will see that the sum of your DTE plus miles driven increases a lot as you empty the tank because the error range of the DTE estimate decreases. In Winter driving, the more common tank range is in the low 500s.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts