Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2018 RAV4Hybrid. I leased it in Aug and for the next few months I was getting about 34 mpg.
In Nov I noticed a drop to just 28 mpg. I called the dealership and they didn't even want to look at it and told me it was because a change to the gas now that we are in winter. I live in PA so we are not drastically cold. My mpg is now down to 24! I am VERY frustrated and wonder What other people are getting for mileage at this point.

Thank you

·
Registered
2019 XLE Premium AWD
439 Posts
Winter fuel blend happens everywhere in the US, not just in the northern colder areas, winter fuel blend can be blamed for part of the reduced fuel economy, but in my experience with my '16 Ltd HV using the heater and heated seats was the larger cause, using cabin heat keeps the ICE running longer, even at stops, specially during warm up, and the seat heaters run off the traction battery, so that depletes the charge further. 29mpg was the lowest mine got in winter before I learned to drive a hybrid for good fuel economy, but my warmer month average was closer to 36mpg mixed driving, and 38mpg highway.

https://www.bellperformance.com/blog/bid/49483/fuel-mileage-dropping-blame-the-winter-blend-gasoline

https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1077339_hybrid-driving-tips-maximize-mpg-minimize-cost

·
8,211 Posts
1. as mentioned, winter fuel blend.
2. as it gets colder, engine takes longer to warm up. Also, if you are running heater, it turns ICE on much much more, as ICE is the only source of heat on hybrids. Keep in mind, should you have vents directed at windshield, it will automatically turn on AC, without even letting you know it and you can't turn it off, it's safety measure. Defogging inside.

3. Do not look at any other mpg in the display, unless it's long term mpg one. Not tank average. Not since reuel. None of those. ONLY long term. And never reset it. Long term normally changes very fast for the first few months, then stabilizes and fluctuates very little. Each given commute is subject to 10% variable, due to various outside conditions. Hence - long term only.

·
Registered
Rav4 Hybrid
86 Posts
Has your mileage improved ? I just bought a 2019 Rav4 hybrid in April, with 200 miles it was showing 38.4 mpg, but it was above 60 degrees the past few days. I know winter gas will drop my Sonata hybrid to 38 mpg when it's below 30 degrees. But that was my worst mileage. Warm weather and it's 44+ mpg. On the other hand I drive like a hybrid. I don't accelerate above the "power" setting on the gauge. It may be annoying to those behind me at time that throttle past me. Then I meet them at the next stop light. Below 40 and the ICE will start just to warm up the car. New to the Rav4 hybrid so not sure if this hybrid works the same. Also driving habits, do you warm up the car, are you driving above 65 mph, are you in ECO mode, how fast do you accelerate, this hybrid will accelerate pretty fast, that's coming from gas.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts