Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 89 V6 4x4 and over the last month, a few times a week when i go to start it, it will start then die, start then die..etc the check engine light will come on and it acts like it's not getting enough air or fuel. Sometimes it will stay running, but wont go above 35mph, if i put it to the floor, it just spits and spudders, like it's choking. Then after driving for about 5 min, the check engine light will go off and it runs fine :headbang:

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
First off, pull your codes and post back. If you need to know how, search in this forum or check the factory manual in the ENGINE - MFI SYSTEM - DIAGNOSTICS section. Don't have an fsm? Google 1993 toyota pickup service manual.

When's the last time you changed plugs, cap, rotor, air filter, plug wires (if cracked, hard/inflexible, really dirty), set the timing (with jumper attached), and cleaned the throttle body?

If it's been a while, try all that first and see what happens.

If a tune-up doesn't help and you've addressed any issues highlighted by the codes...

Do you hear a clicking from the passenger kick panel when it's stumbling? That would be the circuit opening relay that powers the fuel pump, turning on and off. Likely cause of that would be the fuel pump switch in the vaf meter not staying closed. And reason for that could be a crack in the air hose going from the vafm to throttle body, or a bad fuel pump switch.

Other possibilities:

- badly clogged injectors - run Red Line SI-1 Complete Fuel System Cleaner through - maybe get two bottles and add to two consecutive tank fill ups.

- failing coil - test per factory manual instructions in the IGNITION - ON VEHICLE INSPECTION section.

- low fuel pressure - need to use a fuel pressure gauge. Cause of low pressure most likely a bad pressure regulator.

- clogged cat - remove and visually inspect (will need new flange gaskets)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts