Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Not so Noob now!
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok all, I need suggestions for what might be the soulution to this:

My car starts fine / idles fine when cold however the throttle response is very sluggish. So unless I have it up to around 3K RPM when I relese the clutch it will either die or nearly die if I don't re-engage the clutch. (I have a steep driveway) I don't particullarly want to replace my clutch in the near future. When the car has warmed up to normal operating tempature this isn't a problem. However it still seems that the overall thottle response could be a bit snappier.

I still have plenty of torque for climbing hills in 4th or 5th gear. And I recently did a tune up consisting of Dist. cap, rotor, wires, spark plugs and such.

So in your experiences what is the most probable cause for these problems?

Now one thing that I thought of might be I need to reset the ECU. Because until recently this car was driven daily at an altitude of around 6500ft above sea level and now is being driven at an altitude of around 1100ft above sea level. Does anyone else think this might help?

·
Banned
4,345 Posts
I doubt resetting the ecu is going to help you, but you can try it. It has senors to use 100% in open loop during WOT, and still uses the senors to pick fuel & timing maps in closed loop mode.
You wern't playing with your timing while you were replacing your distributor cap were you?

·
Not so Noob now!
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Toysrme said:
You wern't playing with your timing while you were replacing your distributor cap were you?
Nope. But I might be willing to, if it could be the soulotion to this problem. I do have to say since you mention it, I hadn't considered that it does almost seem like the kind of thing that happens to the timing belt being off a tooth or two... Maybe I should check into it...

·
engineer in training
1,586 Posts
you could just let it warm up a little in the morning couldnt you? :p:

·
Mad Scientist-In-Training
922 Posts
es250nut said:
Ok all, I need suggestions for what might be the soulution to this:

My car starts fine / idles fine when cold however the throttle response is very sluggish. So unless I have it up to around 3K RPM when I relese the clutch it will either die or nearly die if I don't re-engage the clutch. (I have a steep driveway) I don't particullarly want to replace my clutch in the near future. When the car has warmed up to normal operating tempature this isn't a problem. However it still seems that the overall thottle response could be a bit snappier.

I still have plenty of torque for climbing hills in 4th or 5th gear. And I recently did a tune up consisting of Dist. cap, rotor, wires, spark plugs and such.

So in your experiences what is the most probable cause for these problems?

Now one thing that I thought of might be I need to reset the ECU. Because until recently this car was driven daily at an altitude of around 6500ft above sea level and now is being driven at an altitude of around 1100ft above sea level. Does anyone else think this might help?
It could help if you've experienced altitude changes...

Once you've reset the ECU, it will need at least 5-10 miles to take new readings. During that period, it will drive pretty crappy. I would suggest you do the run on a highway.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts