Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi pop up lights on 85 mr2 cycle up and down 1 or 2 times before stopping in up or down position,any thoughts anyone

·
Registered
1995 T100 2WD
1,901 Posts
Hi pop up lights on 85 mr2 cycle up and down 1 or 2 times before stopping in up or down position,any thoughts anyone
Check these,
headlight retractor control relay. ( most Common) https://www.stockwiseauto.com/airtex-1r1373-headlight-relay?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIvO_anKfK5QIVqx-tBh0jyAqbEAQYBCABEgLNHPD_BwE&fit_id=5487&Year=1985&Make=Toyota&Model=MR2&gsID=pxf199158f5487&

Been a long time since I had my 86' The relay should in in the Frunk relay box near the shock tower.
The light switch on the column can cause the same issue.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That would be an easy fix,hope you're right.Do you know if same switch controls both sides.Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
1995 T100 2WD
1,901 Posts
To the best of my knowledge yes. Others on the dedicated MR2 Owners Forum have relsolved issues where 1 headlight was being tempermental by replacing the light swich in the coluum. The relay is just cheap and easy to get to. I've heard some mention a Limit Switch but I'm convinced they're using that name for the on/off switch in the column since it activates everything the pop-ups do. Also if all the rest of your lights work properly that switch is most likely fine.

·
Registered
MR2 3.3TT
200 Posts
The limit switch is part of the headlight motor, it tells the motor when the light is up or down so the motor knows to stop moving it up or down. Different from the switch to turn the lights on and off. The red, green, blue, and yellow wires from the headlight motors are the limit switch wires. Red is common for left, green is common for right, yellow for up, blue for down.

·
Registered
1995 T100 2WD
1,901 Posts
The limit switch is part of the headlight motor, it tells the motor when the light is up or down so the motor knows to stop moving it up or down. Different from the switch to turn the lights on and off. The red, green, blue, and yellow wires from the headlight motors are the limit switch wires. Red is common for left, green is common for right, yellow for up, blue for down.
Have you heard of the limit switches causes issues like he mentioned? I hadn't on my 86' or my current 93" MR2's.

·
Registered
MR2 3.3TT
200 Posts
I haven't. On mine I had to reflow the solder joints in the switch on the dashboard. This does sound like the problem a flaky limit switch would cause though. If they are both doing it I'd suspect something else.

Do some some research at mr2oc, I'm sure this has come up before...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I haven't. On mine I had to reflow the solder joints in the switch on the dashboard. This does sound like the problem a flaky limit switch would cause though. If they are both doing it I'd suspect something else.

Do some some research at mr2oc, I'm sure this has come up before...
They are both doing it.ordered retractor relay switch.Let you know if it fixes the problem.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts