Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i did a search on this already so don't everyone get mad at me for not at least using the search button but i been hearin around about if you port and polish....SOMETHING on your engine that it gives you better performance or some shit...i have no idea even what that is or what part of the engine you do that on so i was wonderin if anyone who knew about that could tell me just so i know it's been buggin me for a week....is it cheap to do? does it help a lot? (performancewise) anyway...and also my gf's brother said that he put a CAI and increased the throttle body and extended his throttle body on his little S10 truck and that supposedly that gave him a shitload more HP and i was wonderin if any of you knew about what he's talkin about....increase the throttle body how the hell do you do that? anyway is there really a significant gain in doin that?

·
96 3MZ M/T
Camry
2,879 Posts
the port and polish is for your valves. it makes the holes larger and smooths out and roughness for increased and better air flow, this adds LOTS more power than a CAI and a bored out tb. your gf is crazy for saying crazy power maybe better throtal response but not loads more power.

·
Mad Scientist
94 scepter coupe
3,959 Posts
port match your intake manifold with your gaskets then you'll find a bit more power. port your tb and you will get better response. if you put a spacer in between than you'll get more tq (10-18tq and 2-5hp)

·
Registered
1990 Celica GTS
2,714 Posts
Port - matching intake and exhaust ports on cylinder head to manifolds. Allow smooth and faster air flow. Usually will open ports a bit bigger for more airflow. Also remove any bump and casting edges in manifold.

Polish - polish all casting surface to a smooth finish so airflow better and harder for carbon build up.

Multi-angle valve job - machine valve seat for more air flow through valve.

A proper P&P will include all the above on Throttle Body, Intake Manifold and Cylinder Head. Good P&P will give 20% gain for $500-600.

·
Auto-Cross Addict
3,837 Posts
I've done it on a few engines. Don't be fooled, there is an art to it. Just takes some learning on small engines. The first one I tried it on was a lawnmower engine:D

And an intake and throttle body spacer won't give you huge gains. However the spacer will give you a decent torque gain.

Right not Shiftgate Performance is starting work on throttle body spacers. They're trying to gauge interest, so check it out:
http://shiftgate.mox.ca/viewtopic.php?t=91

·
Auto-Cross Addict
3,837 Posts
Not really. I talked about practicing and lawnmowers. You talked about actual numbers for gains:)

·
Registered
1990 Celica GTS
2,714 Posts
Don't do P&P yourself unless you know what you're doing. Not enough P&P with give no gain. Too much will decreaee performance. Really bad P&P will cause some cylinder to run rich and other run lean causing engine damage.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok that sorta helped and it sounds like if i wanted that sort of work done to my car i should just take it to a shop....what kind of shops do that sort of stuff? and also i have another question about pipe sizing for exhaust and intake....i have a 2.5 catback exahust is that too big? the stock pipe is 2 in. i think so...am i losing too much back pressure? also my intake is 3" is that too big? anyway thanks for the help guys...anyboy have a picture of a throttle body spacer that you could post on here? how much do they cost?

·
Registered
238 Posts
port and polish is something you can do as a newbie to your intkae plenum and runners. anymore you shoould use cautions. i did it to all 8 5efhe's runners and the intake plenum. and its not hard. but if you want to go ferther be careful cuase you can mess up ur stuff.(thisd is doing 3 angle valve jobs and such)

·
nice guy
191 Posts
if you don't have the money to buy headers, just grind down the exhaust manifold, but i would but headers as soon as i can if you are going to port and polish it. if you take your head off, you can bring it to a machine shop to get it p&p and they can do a three angle valve job for like $400-$500 all together.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts