Toyota Nation Forum banner

Possible damage after rear engine mount collapse 2.2, A140E, 98 Camry howl

858 views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  kazthebassman 
#1 ·
I had a year or so old aftermarket hydrolytic rear mount collapse. The hydraulic and the metal tripod collapsed. Not sure if this may be related but... I am having a growling/humming sound, much like a wheel bearing, in that it follows speed. It goes away on left turns. I have tried to locate it with the clip on transducers onto various points and recording the audio waveforms. It is difficult to pick up well. To the ear it sounds like it might be from rear or center but I did not pick up any sound in those areas at all. Toward the front, no sound at wheel beings. When I clipped the transducers to the diff/transaxle (both sides) and the or carrier bearings. The engine is heard most but I can hear the sound at the diff a bit. I may want to try the carrier bearing again but I believe it was barely there or not really there on the transducer pick up. Most everything ( everything really) is quite new on the vehicle. I fired the parts cannon and bought a left frt knuckle assembly with bearing. No change. Spin tested the year old rear wheel bearing hubs, heard a little noise in right rear. I replaced that. No significant change. I am suspecting the transaxle/diff bearing(s) or a CV shaft at this time. Those shafts are maybe 1 and 2 years old... but I wonder if the stress of the engine/trans tilted from the mount collapse had stressed any of the CV joints or hit the Right shaft or.. my tranaxle bearings became stressed from the tilted engine trans. Which side might be more stressed? IDK. Any input? Left turns are quite. I suppose that point to the left axle but I'd think the right might have been more stressed with collapsed rear mount but maybe I am missing something. The dog bone and probably the trans mount held the engine/trans from total catastrophe that could have been from the collapsed mount, although the eng was quite tilted towards right and rear. Picture the angle of driving with no rear mount support. Any insight as to the most likely part that could have been stressed and then be a possible cause of the humming/howling? ..on right turns?

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks for the comment. The general consensus by far is that the bad 'bearing' would be opposite of the direction of the turn that makes the noise. Noise on right turn, suspect left bearing but perhaps not 100% of the time. It's said that the outside wheel takes more load on a turn. IDK if somehow it is different on these cars. Are you basing your statement on something particular? I'll let you know what I find when I find it. I'll clip the ears on again soon and see if it sheds any new light.

#4 · (Edited)
Wheel bearing diagnosis is almost as much 'art' vs. 'science'. Especially for us occasional DIY'ers. Folks that do this all day at a shop have knowledge and skill - by experience. Might be worth a diagnostic visit, to a local trusted shop.

Can tell you what I've learned:

All bearings when turned should be silent and free: any 'squeak', 'scrape', or 'grittiness' / uneven resistance felt .. indicates a tired or -> failing bearing.

Checking for movement / play at "3' 9' o'clock and 6' 12' o'clock" w/ wheel lifted may show bearing is tight: but if noise is heard, when wheel is off & turning by hand: it's still going to groan or howl at highway speed.

* Same w/ the intermediate bearing on the axle. Mentioned because of the rear motor mount fail -> right axle carrier bearing running through the attached mount. (At least on the '00 4cyl here.)

#5 ·
Ok. Resolved. Nothing to do with the mount collapse, as the offending part was the left rear wheel bearing. Replaced that hub/bearing and no more howl. IDK why I didn't hear it with the 'ears' but that was it. These year old rear bearings were RockAuto, Beck Arnley 30 day closeouts. Not sealed with large ball bearing. I have Mevotech now and they are sealed. We will see. Car drives well but I suspect a rear wheel alignment issue may have worn it prematurely or the bearing was junk but there was some premature inner edge tire wear on the tires that were changed very recently. No slop in the bearing could be felt or heard with the bearing mounted, on the car and off the ground but with the bearing out of the car, I could hear and feel resistance, while spinning by hand.. odd. As are most of my issues. Everything is recently new in the rear, arms etc.. I doubt these chain alignment shops did a 'proper' 4 wheel alignment when I brought it after new arms installed. A little bit more 'work' and hopefully I get my perfection I seek. Going to examine the knuckle bushings tomorrow. I left one old one in when I changed the knuckles and hubs last year. Either that or a bit of rear alignment is suspect... almost there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.