Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
01 S2K, 96 JDM SiR-G
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am a new owner of a 93 Corolla DX. I have been looking for a new daily since Integras disappear like crazy in my city. I have been tuning Hondas for more than 10 years, but haven't seen too much on the Toyota side besides Supra's and SC300/400s. What are some possibilites with the 7th Gen Corolla? I know there are some JDM parts for the Corolla but do not know where to start. What would you start with first? This will be my daily and I don't want to go with boost or NOS. Thanks for any future advice. I just want a clean, comfortable, understated, good performing Corolla.

·
Registered
398 Posts
run away these are not performance cars. Strictly gas sippers. Unreliable junkers!

·
Registered
01 S2K, 96 JDM SiR-G
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Too late. I just picked it up from the local Toyota dealer for $1200.00, high miles, rare 5-speed, some rust, worn suspension.

THe retired daily:

·
Official TN Toaster
2000 Celica GT-S
623 Posts
The Corolla can tuned to your liking, it's just more challenging due to the relative unpopularity of the car among tuners. If you're looking for a true performance Corolla, put a 20 valve 4AGE (JDM only) in it, but the standard Corolla can be nice too, but like I said, it's more of a challenge than a Honda. But trust me, they're nice reliable cars no matter what you do to them.

·
TIEyota fighter ace
AE101, TE72
1,942 Posts
I'd recommend the 4AGZE, already built for forced induction. Pair it with a close-ratio six-speed from the 20Vs, although they can be a little fragile, drop out the supercharger and put in a T25 and you're looking at something that (with appropriate chassis and suspension mods) can be made to embarass a LOT of folks.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Not bad get some good pics in the day!

Picked mine up for 900 130k no rust from work (dealer) they thought the security system went ape sh!t and didn't know how to fix it. I offered them some cash they took it and all I did was jump it off.

Dome light was left on causing a drain on the battery lol.

·
Registered
01 S2K, 96 JDM SiR-G
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I drove it around last night and the suspension floats all over the place. What spring/shock combo would you guru's recommend. In the Honda world for daily driving KYB AGX's or GR-2's w/ H&R sport or Eibach Sport usually fits the bill. Would it be the same for a Corolla?

·
Registered
398 Posts
either or..

·
Registered
1993 yoda
201 Posts
err.. mines the fastest 4 banger when she gets the rpms up ive ever drove. i got the 1.6 also. gl with youre new car.

·
Registered
01 S2K, 96 JDM SiR-G
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Some daytime pics of the new addition:

Jacked up rear bumper:

Rust and rust:

Plans are to replace the suspension, fix the rust, mod the grill, add a front lip, and add a decent set of 15' rims on 195/50/15's. I might even try it out for Auto-X.

·
Saloon Fanatic
Mr2
709 Posts
I'd recommend the 4AGZE, already built for forced induction. Pair it with a close-ratio six-speed from the 20Vs, although they can be a little fragile, drop out the supercharger and put in a T25 and you're looking at something that (with appropriate chassis and suspension mods) can be made to embarass a LOT of folks.
Did that, wouldn't do it again. Gearing is too short with boost. Unless your going to up the redline, your rowing through the gear box. I know the gze has an extra 600 rpm but imo it still wouldn't be enough. Its part of the reason for me going back to a 20v.

I have the same color and same condition 93 myself. With the basics your listing, you will have a reliable daily to use for a long time. If the mileage is high and compression is good with a leakdown test, you may want to do the valve stem seals as they are common to cause a little puffing occasionally on higher mileage corollas.
I personally would do whichever but with the h&r's. I haven't heard much good about the eibachs for the 7th gen. Remember everything from the 98-02 fits over and hotchkis made a nice setup for that car.

·
Registered
01 S2K, 96 JDM SiR-G
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Here is the long story of my 1996 theft recovered Integra shell:

http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2286383

Mods currently as it sits:
Wheel and Suspension Modifications: 16" Rota Slipstreams on Kumho SPT, KYB AGX's on H&R Race springs, Cusco style front strut bar, DC rear tie bar
Body Modifications: JDM front end conversion, type r style lip, red H emblems, APR CF mirrors, Benen rear tow hook
Interior Modifications: USDM ITR front seats, JDM ITR gauge cluster, Sparco steering wheel, Skunk2 shift knob, Auto meter boost, oil pressure, and fuel pressure gauges, NGK AFX wideband, Broadway mirror, CF radio block-off plate
Engine and Transmission Modifications: JDM B18C, Exedy stage I clutch
Performance: AEM EMS, Drag Gen II t3/t4 turbo kit, STR fuel rail, B&M fuel pressure regulator, Tial wastegate, XS Power RFL BOV, Spearco intercooler, eccel spark plug wires, Greddy Evo 2 exhaust

New parts waiting for installation:
- Borg Warner S256 ETT
- 3 inch exhaust
- PIC Select suspension
- Progress 23 mm sway bar
- ASR sub-frame brace
- Skunk2 LCA's
- Muteki Neo-Chrome lugs
- 15 x 8 +15 offset rims running 195/45/15's

I can daily this car at 11lbs of boost making 325 to the wheel. I use it at for Auto-X, 1/4 mile, local shows, running to Home Depot, etc. This is my dream car and I there is more room to improve on. I hope you can enjoy the build, even if it is not a Toyota.

Some pics:

·
Registered
567 Posts
Since there is a china town in a lot of big cities, I can only guess San Francisco? do you live in the south? I am just curious about the rust on the corolla. I was thinking flood or humid environment? It may be nothing.

·
Vivir el momento
Corolla
18,784 Posts
Major props to you jae_rex for undertaking a project like that! :thumbup::thumbup:

The car looks simply fantastic and must be a blast to drive putting down those kinds of numbers! :yikes:

I hope I can get my Corolla to that level of tune one day.

·
Registered
01 S2K, 96 JDM SiR-G
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Update: Got some 14' Miata wheels with some good rubber. These wheels are very light and I think it would good decent on the Rolla. Here some pics of them being painted:

Before:

During:

After:

Just waiting for them to dry, then make an attempt to mount them. I did try breaking loose one of the lugs and it would not budge. I might have to take it over to my buddy's shop to use the impact gun. By the end of summer I would like to:

1. Fix the rust
2. 2' drop
3. DIY JDM style grill
4. Give a go at auto-x

·
Registered
1995 toyota corolla
37 Posts
nice

i have a 95' 5 speed, 7A-FE DX and i love it, great car, has a lot of miles 230,000 miles but i bought the car for 250 bucks no rust, doesn't tick, runs great, just had to put new struts on front and back and rear and front brakes same color as urs, bluish green, whats that called?? wanna get rims but dont no what type to get should be posting pics soon...:smokin:

·
Registered
'03 Sequoia
416 Posts
i have a 95' 5 speed, 7A-FE DX and i love it, great car, has a lot of miles 230,000 miles but i bought the car for 250 bucks no rust, doesn't tick, runs great, just had to put new struts on front and back and rear and front brakes same color as urs, bluish green, whats that called?? wanna get rims but dont no what type to get should be posting pics soon...:smokin:
My '93 "bluish green" was listed as DARK TEAL according to all my records including the original window sticker that I still have in the file.

·
Only GOD Knows
Toyota Corolla
1,969 Posts
run away these are not performance cars. Strictly gas sippers. Unreliable junkers!
:ugh3: your kidding right?

I am a new owner of a 93 Corolla DX. I have been looking for a new daily since Integras disappear like crazy in my city. I have been tuning Hondas for more than 10 years, but haven't seen too much on the Toyota side besides Supra's and SC300/400s. What are some possibilites with the 7th Gen Corolla? I know there are some JDM parts for the Corolla but do not know where to start. What would you start with first? This will be my daily and I don't want to go with boost or NOS. Thanks for any future advice. I just want a clean, comfortable, understated, good performing Corolla.
congrads on your purchase. Yes there's a limited supply of aftermarket parts. But, with some work can easily compete with your Honda's and Integras B16 and B18's

Me personally, I'm going for a 4AGE, 20V blacktop which is N/A. Stock numbers around 165HP. Suspension depends on what your looking to do. I'm leaning towards D2 coilovers. But a more simple setup would be Tokico blue shocks with your choice of lowering springs. Tien makes some good ones I think and Eibach is a more conservative drop.

·
Registered
01 S2K, 96 JDM SiR-G
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Here are some updates on my AE. I finally got the Miata wheels mounted. It required a 3/8th spacer for the fronts to clear the calipers.

Next up: suspension

1 - 20 of 26 Posts