Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Mr2 drivers I currently drive a 99 toyota camry 5sfe with a 5 speed and I love it.
Ive stumbled upon a 1991 Mr2 with a 2.0 engine swap. the previous owner swapped the engine. It has 165k and 180k on the chassis. suspension and tires are good. interior is ok. paint is bad.... It hasn't been registered in 2 years but supposedly passes smog. the shift cable was broken and that is the only thing preventing it from running. How do you guys feel about this deal. Ive done some searching but was unable to find my answer. Is a shift cable easy to install? does this sound like a pretty good car?
by the way I am mechanically inclined with a clutch job, oil pan, and the other basic stuff under my belt. thanks in advance for any input.

·
Premium Member
'91 MR2 Turbo
19,831 Posts
It would help if you posted how much he wanted for it and alot more details about the car.

There are many other things to consider .

You stated it won't run because it has a broken shifter cable? Unless it's stuck in gear, you should still be able to start it. Even if it was stuck in gear, you could push the clutch in and run it for a couple of minutes.

Personally, I wouldn't buy a swap .Especially one that doesn't run.

·
Registered
AW11
386 Posts
i agree with MR2Jedi. if you cannot drive the car, DO NOT BUY IT.

you might be buying a massive money pit and endless headache, sorting out the things the previous owner might have half-assed or skipped entirely. beyond that, you never truly know the condition of the engine, transmission, chassis, etc, etc...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts