Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While discussing a quote for the clear bra install vs. a DIY with a local installer, I found that there was no bumper kit for the Venza with the reason being that when the brand supplier was performing a design test fit on a new venza they pulled paint off the front bumper. They contacted toyota and was advised there had been several incidents of this. At this point in time, they are trying to determine if this is an issue with the new eco-friendly water-based paint/curing prcoess toyota is using or a problem with the repaint of damage sustained by venza's in transit.

If a bumper were to replaced/repainted in the depot, that bumper would most likely come from a supplier pre-primed. IF the bumper cover were not scuffed and re-primed prior to finish painting, paint adhesion failure could result especially when applying/repositioning Paint Protective Film and could easily pull the paint off the surface.

I am offering a word of caution. I am NOT necessarily raising an alarm whereas it's not known what the actual root-cause of the problem is. AS I am told - an damage repaired in transit is supposed to be documented and sent along with the vehicle..... so if you are planning to add the clear bra to the bumper as I am, ya may inquire as to whether or not the bumper has sustained any sort or damage or replacement while in transit. there is no notice regarding the hood/fenders as there are kits available.

Below is an excerpt of a communication between the brand supplier and the installer. I will update this thread as new and/or more definitive info comes along.

(Excerpt from Brand Supplier)

"....While designing on the Venza today, we pulled paint on the bumper in two different areas. The car was brand new and had never been touched up or repainted. After explaining what had happened to the sales and service managers they gave Gulf States Toyota a call to report the problem. There had apparently been some similar issues with faulty paint so we were not held liable. I just wanted you all to be aware of this potential problem before you attempt to work on one of these cars.

You can read Speeds post (Ferrari Factory PPF BEWARE) to see where this kind of thing can possibly lead....."

·
Registered
1 Posts
Clear bra on poor paint jobs

I installed a clear bra on all exposed fronts of my 2012 Venza. Everything was fine except when I got to the front bumper cover. When I had to reposition the clear bra, paint lifted off the bumper, I was shocked. I'm thinking, I bought this car as a certified Toyota Used car which passed their supposed 160-pt inspection, apparently NOT!. At lease not the paint on the front bumper. It was probably repainted. Make a long story short, I managed to install the clear bra over the front bumper, but there are spots you can easily tell that are not adhering because of the paint that's stuck on the clear bra. If I knew paint was going to come off, I would have not installed the clear bra. Do I have any recourse with Toyota, since I only purchased it 2 weeks ago? Probably will have to fight with dealer's customer service which I don't feel like doing. A replacement primed front bumper cover costs $90 and another $150 for a shop to paint it. Installing it takes only 30 minutes tops.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts