Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
TN Junkie
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I was thinkin' (trying not to hurt myself in the process). I don't smoke, so I don't need the lighter in my truck. Do you think you can put item 17 in the diagram(power outlet cover) on the cigarette lighter assy and get rid of the element? Or do you think you would have to change the whole assembly over? Just a thought.

·
clean water
07 silver dc lb 4wd
402 Posts
not sure about the mod.

very cool avatar.

·
TN Junkie
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i would think you could just put the cover on.
that's what I thought, but it looks like a whole sleeve in the pic, not sure if it would fit. I figure someone out here would have taken thier panel out during another mod and maybe noticed if they were arranged the same.

·
Supercharged '07 DC 4x4
890 Posts
The inner diameter of both the lighter and the aux power outlet are the same, so there is a likelihood the outside diameter that fits into the respective sleeves are also the same. I never noticed a difference in the rolled metal outer lips, but you probably want to take a closer look to ensure the cover can close completely. The biggest question to me would be if "14" on the lighter would somehow keep "17" from sliding in cleanly.

A little OT...do you know the part number of "17" is in grey? I haven't sent this diagram before and my cap is broken.

·
TN Junkie
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The inner diameter of both the lighter and the aux power outlet are the same, so there is a likelihood the outside diameter that fits into the respective sleeves are also the same. I never noticed a difference in the rolled metal outer lips, but you probably want to take a closer look to ensure the cover can close completely. The biggest question to me would be if "14" on the lighter would somehow keep "17" from sliding in cleanly.

A little OT...do you know the part number of "17" is in grey? I haven't sent this diagram before and my cap is broken.

Not sure if the link will work, but it seems to on my end. It says gray here.

http://www.trademotion.com/partloca...2007&graphicID=8512470&callout=17&catalogid=2

I like the Idea of the mod, but I don't think it's worth $7 for the cover and $13 for another outlet. I might go raid a local u-pull-it junkyard and try to find a wrecked Tacoma to grab these parts.

·
Supercharged '07 DC 4x4
890 Posts
Thanks. At first I thought you were just trying to cover up the lighter. Now that I understand you're talking about replacing it with another outlet...The lighter and power outlet run in parallel from the same ACC relay with a 15A fuse behind it in your driver side dash. So, no problem there. But keep in mind that both outlets would now be loading the circuit if you use them at the same time. Shouldn't be a problem for basic usage...

·
Registered
06 Taco 4x4 TRD
796 Posts
This sounds like a great, simple mod!

To test your idea, you could just take it apart and see if the right hand outlet cover fits the left hand power outlet.

To fully access the panel the outlets are on, you'll have to dismantle a major portion of the dash, as well as the center console. I've done it, and can give you procedures if you need them. Should take 45 minutes max. You might be able to access the power ports just by removing the center console, but I don't think so.

Let us know if this works.

·
TN Junkie
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This sounds like a great, simple mod!

To test your idea, you could just take it apart and see if the right hand outlet cover fits the left hand power outlet.

To fully access the panel the outlets are on, you'll have to dismantle a major portion of the dash, as well as the center console. I've done it, and can give you procedures if you need them. Should take 45 minutes max. You might be able to access the power ports just by removing the center console, but I don't think so.

Let us know if this works.
It will probably be this weekend before I get around to it, but I'll give it a try. Thanks for the offer on instructions with removing the panel, it'll help a bit. I could probably just search around in the DIY section and figure it out. I am also looking for a DF-TOY Input Converter, so I might just wait until I get one and do both mods at the same time. Those things are a pain to find, it seems they have been discontinued. Not unless someone out here wants to get rid of one...:naughty:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts