Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! I'm brand new to TN and look forward to poking around, meeting fellow Toyota owners and learning stuff. I have a 2008 Avalon Limited with 117,000 miles. Right around 102,000 miles there was a bumping noise in the rear. The ride quality degraded so I replaced the struts all around. The problem remained. The noise seems to be louder in the right rear of the car. I've replaced bushings and torsion bars and everything else that was worn out. My mechanic can't find the issue but said it wasn't safety related. I miss that quiet ride I used to get. Is the issue in the frame/sub-frame or chassis? Other than that, this almost 12 year old car runs like new. I welcome any suggestions. Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Strut mounts replaced and worn bushings replaced. That "thump" sounds like it comes from the trunk so I checked the spare tire, muffler and all hangers. All tight. Scratching' my head on this one!

·
Registered
01 Avalon XL, 03 Avalon XL
1,019 Posts
Not sure what you mean by "torsion bars" in your original post, but if you mean the anti-roll bar, did you also replace the roll bar links at each rear wheel? These things are a major cause of suspension clunks and bangs on Avalons. Ironically, they are almost impossible to diagnose because you can't get them to clunk when the car's stationary (by bouncing the car via the back bumper).

If one of these is the culprits, I suggest the Moog Problem-solver link, which has a grease nipple.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you, my friend. I'll bring it to my mechanic's attention when I go in for the oil change. I would have done it sooner but Santa did me in. Lol.

·
Registered
01 Avalon XL, 03 Avalon XL
1,019 Posts
Yeah... the very day after I posted #6 above, I started getting noise at the rear of my Gen2 (01) and my shop tells me it's the right rear roll bar link...

Guess they don't like being talked about :p

1 - 8 of 8 Posts