Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I have an unusual question to ask. I am wondering if it is at all possible to add any sort of negative camber to the rear of a '98 Tercel, and if so, how to do it. I am wanting to do a "stance" look on the car (could very possibly be a dumb idea) and I am not sure how to go about adding negative camber to the rear. From what I can tell, if I am able to add camber to the rotor (say by adding washes) then the ball bearing would still align the rotor back to 0 degrees because the axle shaft itself is still at a perpendicular angle. However, I see many images of cambered Tercels on the internet, so I am wondering how they did it. Forgive me if I am missing something crucial, I am still learning about cars!

·
Super Moderator
9,065 Posts
Looks like you have standard strut in the rear.
In that the case, you can do camber bolts. Upper strut to hub knuckle bolt is replaced with camber bolt and, then you camber it to whatever you want to. They are around $ 30 x2 at parts stores. Subaru site has best ever camber bolt install walkthrough, as it is apparently very fashionable to have cambered Subies.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, thank you for your response! It seems as though the Tercel rear is not built like that, at least from what I can tell. I don't see anywhere to add any camber bolts.

The strut's orientation is different compared to most other vehicles, which leaves me stumped. I could attempt to add washers to the bottom two bolts to the left of (4), but that would only tilt the rotor and not the axle shaft itself. When the bearing at (5) is added back on, it straightens the rotor so it aligns with the axle shaft again.

·
Super Moderator
9,065 Posts
Ok, so you are on the solid rear axle.
The only way you camber it is with camber shims.
Looking at the diagram, the only place you can use them is behind the spindle base. Shock will accommodate angular change no problem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for your reply again! I will attempt to remove the spindle base and slide shims in.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts