Toyota Nation Forum banner

Put this idea into thought one day?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Dream for a 2020 TRD Camry & 2017 Camaro SS
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The new TRD is simply the sickest dad car I feel many of us have seen, all is said and good with the beaut besides 1 thing imo, the FWD drivetrain. How would you go about swapping in an AWD drivetrain from a lower trim model, if possible? and what years would it be possible with?

·
Registered
729 Posts
This would be a nice project, but surely not plug-and-play. I think you might finish it just when Toyota will bring an AWD TRD Camry on the market, maybe with some more torque and HP to compensate for the added weight. Just 2-3 years from now.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Not really feasible, although I'm sure it could be done with Highlander parts, some cutting/welding and computer work. The current AWD system is 4 cylinder only and required a different rear floor pan than the FWD Camry.

In short, you'd be better off sourcing a LSD for the FWD TRD, like the race team did for their car(s).

·
Registered
180 Posts
a guy on the honda forums,started a project.. converted his V6 auto Accord to stick.. the thread is most impressive... he disappeared feb 19 but his build wasnt done.

·
Registered
2018 Toyota Camry LE
104 Posts
from my understanding it's not full time AWD, it just engages whenever extra traction is needed, so you wouldn't really see any improvements in regards to acceleration or performance.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I put a standard in a 67 Camaro once what a pain Then again auto to std with a 69. All I can say is NEVER AGAIN. Today , doing something like this all I can say is FORGET ABOUT IT

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
729 Posts
a guy on the honda forums,started a project.. converted his V6 auto Accord to stick.. the thread is most impressive... he disappeared feb 19 but his build wasnt done.
Wait! Was he kidnapped by some ninjas sent from the Honda headquarters because he was showing us the LIGHT?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts