Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
about 5 years ago I put a 32/36 weber on the 18RC and kinda always had a problem in tuning it. I would have the following:
1) rough idle in "D"
2)dieseling after shutting down
3) Most recently Sluggish/bogging hesitation when stomping the pedal to engage the 2nd barrel
So heres a yes to what I've done:
Changed out plugs, points, cap, wires, condenser
Added a fuel regulator, adjusted to 3PSI
new fuel pump and filter
I have the correct jets installed and filter is good
timing has been adjusted to 5 and 7 degrees BTC
new voltage regulator..(compared to the orig. oem one..its still good)
The throttle plate is just below the fuel port (carb is adjusted according to manuel)
Choke (automatic) seems to be operating ok
The only other things I could think of was the accelerator pump is bad or needs adjusting? And is there a sock/filter in the tank? from what I"ve seen there is just the fuel gage sending unit and charcoal canister hose on the top and a pair metal fuel lines running parallel from the front of the tank about 3" up from the bottom on the passenger side and not sure if there is a sock inside or how to get to it if there was one.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Got it..took the carb off this weekend to clean it and notice the rubber fuel line cripped where it comes out of the regulator going into the carb. It must have finally buckled, i guess it was to much of a bend for it..that was #1. #2, I adjusted the choke valve, it wasn't quite all the way closed when the engine was cold and I got the 2nd barrel to open...takes off like a rocket now when punched. Engine/car seems to run a lot better. And left off the regulator to see how it acts. Still don't know about if it has a filter/sock in the fuel tank, anybody got a fuel tank area pic from a service manual?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't come on here to often but wanted to do a follow up. I think with all the trouble shooting if done it did help but the main culprit is the stupid gasoline..i notice I had been spraying the carb out quite often and then it ran good...was using 87 octane, but this past 3 months I have been using 92 octane...what a difference ...better performance overall

·
Soylent Green sales
rock crawler
12,801 Posts
Glad you seem to have worked out the problem.
FWIW there should be a stock on the fuel tank pickup.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts