Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1998 T100 SR5
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I clicked the Tercel form by accident on my way to the T100 form :lol:

I happened to notice their wern't any Tercel photo threads, so I thought i'd try and start one.

Technically i never had one, but my father did, and i drove it, so that counts. His was a 1994 Tercel Standard 2dr, ZERO options, 4cyl 4spd. He bought it for $700 because his van had died, and needed a cheap ride until he could get a solid car (he eventually got a Buick Century) It was an awful aqua color, didnt matter, all the clearcoat had peeled off on the hood roof and trunk. All the paint had come off the rims, there was no vinyl on the seats, but it did have nice seat covers. The weather stripping was eaten up, it always fell of the doors. The horn had been replaced with a dukes of hazzard theme horn. Amazingly, no rust, at all. It only had 140k ish when he bought it. But it had never been taken care of, you could tell it had been abused all its life, I wouldnt have been suprised if it was the original oil in the car, it still had the original plugs, air cleaner, and coolant. Never flushed or changed, the dash was cracked, and faded. It leaked HUGE amounts of oil too, something the dude forgot to tell us. My dad had to refill it completely every month for the 4 months he owned it. The engine still ran well, despite years of abuse and neglect. It finially died one night when my dad and I went to go somewhere, the car cranked then violently sputtered, a huge *SNAP* then nothing happened. We both dont know what happened to it, but we both figure it was the timing belt. He ended up giving free to a guy who scraps We both called it the "Turdcel" mainly because it was a POS, but also becuase it smelled of rat feces. I dont have any pic but the one, and it is on my iphone, the car is at a distance, so you cant admire its total "turdness".

Note that that is not our house, its the previous owners house, he was wierd, and his actual name was Dusty. He had a bunch of GM vehicles, Silverados Sierras, cars vans, etc. apparently he hated Toyota, because it was full of key scratches, bumps, and someone keyed "Toyota Sucks Gm Rules Screw all Jap-Crap" on the pass. door. :lol: but he was the original 1st owner. This was incredibly embarassing to be dropped off at school in, mainly becuase "Dusty" had removed everything but the CAT on the exaust.

·
N/A bites
Paseo
5,859 Posts
Sorry to hear he didn't have a good time with his Tercel. Mine got a JDM makeover and turbo engine swap. It went so damn fast I had to change the gauges to see where I was after third gear with a five speed. Here's a couple of pics at it's best.

I had a lot of fun with mine.

·
Registered
1998 T100 SR5
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That looks awesome! My dad an I did have fun with it, like when the horn got stuck. It was pepy too. I think it had around 90hp when it was new, it probably had half that when we had it. I'm sure when it was new it was a great car, it was a great car when he had it, the fact it was completely trashed made it more fun. He had a 1990 Supra for a little while too. It had been owned by a teen who had lowered it, and put a fast and furious exaust on it. That car had been very well taken care of though, everything worked fabulously, even at 198k. I'll have to find some pics of it. Those two cars (mainly the turd) were the reason i bought myself a Toyota, except mine is mint :D

·
N/A bites
Paseo
5,859 Posts
Thank you! The turbo engine made 130hp stock which doesn't sound like much but a nice jump from the 82 it had originally. Some guys on this forum as well as http://board.tercelonline.com have made as much as 400hp from the e blocks with 1/4 mile times in the 11's. Launching one is a task. Currently I'm building a 92 Paseo and an 82 Starlet. The Paseo will be a basically stock daily driver while the Starlet is getting a full drag build.

Thought about throwing boost on that 3.4? My step son and I would love to get one for an AE86 Corolla.

·
Registered
1998 T100 SR5
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thank you! The turbo engine made 130hp stock which doesn't sound like much but a nice jump from the 82 it had originally. Some guys on this forum as well as http://board.tercelonline.com have made as much as 400hp from the e blocks with 1/4 mile times in the 11's. Launching one is a task. Currently I'm building a 92 Paseo and an 82 Starlet. The Paseo will be a basically stock daily driver while the Starlet is getting a full drag build.

Thought about throwing boost on that 3.4? My step son and I would love to get one for an AE86 Corolla.
Having the TRD supercharger would be great. I have 190hp and 220 torque right now, but the SC would give me 265 hp and 260 torque. Finding one would be difficult though, they only made a handful of SCed T100s, only availble 97&98. And the TRD SC was ceased production in 2000. And at 16 my insurance is already high enough, supercharging the motor would not be a good idea :lol: But I plan to keep the truck for awhile, so maybe sometime in the future i can bolt one on or find a TRD engine. I dont really want to go aftermarket on a SC though., I'd only put the stock TRD sc that would have come with the truck.

You keeping the stock engine in the Starlet? Or a different engine? I one time saw a Paseo that someone had converted to use Toyota Sera doors, pretty crazy, dont know what year it was though.

·
N/A bites
Paseo
5,859 Posts
The Starlet's original engine was only 1.3 liters and 60hp. The new setup is a 98 Camry block with a stroked crank and oversized pistons. It should make 2.5 liters. It has an MR2 head and nothing inside is made by Toyota except the crank. I want to see 800hp at the rear tires and the car should weigh about 1600lbs with driver. Very little will still be Toyota once it's done. Rear axle is a Ford 9" and looking hard at MustangII front suspension. Gotta keep it light while getting stronger.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts