Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all - I'm possibly in the market for a used 4Runner but I have a few questions. I don't know too much about the vehicle and would like to educate myself a bit.... if any of you have the time to answer some these questions it would be greatly appreciated!

Are there certain years to stay from?

Are there certain engines to stay away from 4cyl vs 6cyl?

Are there any common problems with the 4Runner?

Any problems with 4x4?

What sort of gas mileage is expected?

Is it a good vehicle to tow with?

There is a local dealership that has a '92 for sale for about $6,000 CAD ($4,500 USD) ...don't know many details....

Any help would be great.

Thanks,

Pete

·
Registered
86 Posts
1st gens 85-89
2nd gens 90-95
3rd gens 96-2002
4th gens 2003-

It sounds like your price range is the second gens. The 4 cyl are bulletproof, but gutless. The 3.0 V6 are less gutless and have a head gasket problem, which supposedly has been fixed under recall. I guess nobody told my 2nd headgasket that, because it blew too. Other than that, the V6 is a reliable engine and routinely goes to 200k miles plus. The manual transmission has much more power than the auto. Both trannies are bulletproof. The 3.4L V6 in the 3rd gens is a much stronger engine.

No major common problems with any of the generations. Gas mileage with the 3.0 V6 auto is about 12-13 mpg city, 17 mpg highway. Manual trannies get 1 or 2 mpg better.

The 4wd systems are fine.

The 2nd gen is an ok vehicle to tow with, as long as it's not more than 3000lbs. The 3.4L is a better tow vehicle.

The 1st and 2nd gens are generally better for hardcore off roading because they're overall tougher (the frames are 1-ton frames). The 3rd gens can be had with a factory rear locker though.

In conclusion, the 2nd gens are cheaper and slower, but pretty reliable. The 3rd gens are more expensive, faster and also reliable.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey - thanks for that!! Good info to be had!

This will be a 3rd vehicle for the wife and I so there's no point going for the expensive ones... ie '96 and up.

I've heard about the head gasket problem ....that can be a costly repair.....but I will definately have to compare 4 vs 6

Thanks again!

Pete

·
Registered
6 Posts
alot of dealership will runt he vin number to see if the recall campaign was satisfied. so if you are looking at a v6, just ask a dealer that. (service department) i had a 3.0 v6. nice truck, decent power, but, mine blew up early.. if your 4runner doesnt have a tach, put one in.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.