Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
TacoFever
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the skidplate is made out of aluminum. Does anyone know if it is possible to powdercoat it black?? If so how much would it cost to do it?

·
Registered
06 Tacoma Sport
255 Posts
Any metal can be powdercoated, it just needs to clean (no rust, paint, etc). The process itself is very simple and the materials are cheap. The challenge is heating the powder in a big enough oven at 400+ degrees. You should expect to pay somewhere in the neighborhood of $50 to get that skid plate done. Powercoating is not so much a "finishing" process as paint either. You spray it, bake it, and you're done - no sanding, etc. Extra time spent on prepping will yield better results however.

·
Stupid is stupid does
2008 tundra
5,554 Posts
Nafterclifen said:
Any metal can be powdercoated, it just needs to clean (no rust, paint, etc). The process itself is very simple and the materials are cheap. The challenge is heating the powder in a big enough oven at 400+ degrees. You should expect to pay somewhere in the neighborhood of $50 to get that skid plate done. Powercoating is not so much a "finishing" process as paint either. You spray it, bake it, and you're done - no sanding, etc. Extra time spent on prepping will yield better results however.

50$ huh ? :lol:

·
Registered
2015 Tacoma DC
438 Posts
Toyota mearly painted the skidplate silver with what seemed like a 1/2 can of spray paint. The powdercoater agreed with me that it would look like shiat in no time if I did not PC it.

I paid $75.00.. The PC'er sandblasted the whole thing in about 4 minutes since the paint was garbage.

It blends in very well with the rest of the truck.

·
TacoFever
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Smitty! I was going to delay getting the Westin Bullbar, because the truck wouldn't fit inthe garage with it. so in the mean time I was thinking of just getting a skid plate and PC it black to match the Westin steps. I hope it looks good on a white truck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.