Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
jpspartan09
08 Tacoma
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so I got some black powdercoated tips for my truck a while back. lo and behold this is what has happened

so just a heads up. don't get black powdercoated tips. it flakes off and the metal rusts. fortunately, the bodyshop is standing behind their work and is even improving it; instead of just ordering another set of powdercoated tips, they ordered a set of black chrome tips. same size same length. so im ready for tuesday!

·
I Like 'Ze Best
2007 TRD Sport
1,722 Posts
I have black chrome tips, they aren't dark enough for me. Which kind are you getting? I might end up switching my exhaust setup to just having it dumped. I don't know yet.

·
jpspartan09
08 Tacoma
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have black chrome tips, they aren't dark enough for me. Which kind are you getting? I might end up switching my exhaust setup to just having it dumped. I don't know yet.
im not exactly sure... but dude don't get it dumped. its great for a while but it makes your truck sound even more like a ricer, and you get more of a headache - allows for no conversation within the cab

·
NorCal Tacoma
05 Black Dbl Cab
378 Posts
I kinda like the sound of the exhaust dumped but it could just be the vehicles I was riding in. Two friends lifted 96 ranger and lifted 02 yota.

·
GO KING'S GO!
05' Taco Pre-Runner
2,250 Posts
so I got some black powdercoated tips for my truck a while back. lo and behold this is what has happened

so just a heads up. don't get black powdercoated tips. it flakes off and the metal rusts. fortunately, the bodyshop is standing behind their work and is even improving it; instead of just ordering another set of powdercoated tips, they ordered a set of black chrome tips. same size same length. so im ready for tuesday!
Powder coating isn't the problem. It is the prep, quality of coating, and person applying it. Once those tips are exposed to a lift, AT's, or MT's = rocks being thrown = game over tips will look like that. I would have went with the Black Chrome!

im not exactly sure... but dude don't get it dumped. its great for a while but it makes your truck sound even more like a ricer, and you get more of a headache - allows for no conversation within the cab
Having it dumped is fine. If you have a lift = no problems w/ noise. However, if you are @ stock height you may have a bit of an issue. Just turn up your radio and crank the tunes. I have a cheap muffler on that is dumped, soon to upgrade to a 50 Series Delta Flow and I gonna dump it too.

·
Registered
2008 Tacoma Dlb Cab
197 Posts
+1 on the prep and application of the powder coat.

Powder coating should have no problem taking the heat of the exhaust since it's baked on to begin with.

I work in construction, and every time we see a problem with powder coated balcony railings, the root cause of the problem is improper surface prep, or something has damaged the coating once the railing was put in place. After the coating is damaged, it's all over. It's a PITA to do a repair, and will probably keep pealing.

·
Mine is better than yours
'06 Dbl-Cab 4x4 Taco
1,211 Posts
I doubt the inside of the tips were prepped and coated, so it was just a matter of time before the rust worked it's way to the outside.

Marc M

·
Registered
46 Posts
what does "dumped" mean? LOL
I'm pretty sure when they say 'dumped' they mean their is no 'tip' for the exhaust but rather a turn down pipe. So you never see any tip. (usually)

·
NorCal Tacoma
05 Black Dbl Cab
378 Posts
^ Yep, turned down over the rear axle

·
Registered
2005 tacoma trd
866 Posts
stainless steel the only way to go :smokin:

·
NorCal Tacoma
05 Black Dbl Cab
378 Posts
I was going to do this..will it really change the sound that much?
Yea, it is pointed at the ground making the sound waves bounce off the pavement instead of straight into the air. It also doesn't have tips that go all the way out the back meaning shorter piping which would change the sound.

·
Pretty much a TN Member
2006 Taco DC TRD OR
1,179 Posts
bummer. glad they are standing behind the work they did.

Nathan
ycart1201

1 - 19 of 19 Posts