Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I pretty much had to disassemble my rear interior to pull power antenna I figured I should clean it up thoroughly, and since I couldn't find a DIY, take photos of the process.

unit comes apart from black cover/tube attached to chassis

circlip pops off shaft, washer is below clip

lift off top gear, remove 2nd washer on top of bottom gear

filthy! If broken spline is in here remove

lift out spring,

remove lower gear, 3rd washer is at base of shaft

save clip and 3 washers

remove inner cam

plastic cover pops off revealing small gears

grease is very stiff after 20yrs

remove 2 screws and lift off motor, be sure to align cable strain relief on reassembly!

top gear comes out,

lower gear meshed with remaining gear

metal sleeve that worm gear was in pops out now

lower gear slides off shaft

screw/washer/spring washer come off with small strap, allowing antenna tube to slide out

notice indent on tube that screw aligns with

two plastic pieces fit together and then into tube, clean them!

motor assembly is held in can only by magnets, pull it out

rust and carbon from brushes has fouled up motor can

blow out crap from motor base, ceramic caps on other side last almost forever, notice brushes are ~1/3 used at 280k, this car was designed to go 1M miles!

rust on magnets

brush with nylon brush and blow out; neither carbon or rust is magnetic luckily

lower gear has close fitting plastic sleeve, gently remove and clean

small pulley comes out

shaft is rusty, clean up with scotchbrite

reassemble with loads of fresh grease and feed in new antenna mast/spline

·
Registered
6,113 Posts
Very nice write-up with great pictures. Without those pictures I wouldn't remember how to put something like this back together. Thanks for doing this. I vote to sticky this.

Mike

·
Super Moderator
13,512 Posts
Stickied. Did I spy a plastic sleeve that someone found loose inside theirs, and was asking where it came from? Can't remember who that was.

This thing, at the bottom:

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
thanks guys! after market mast I got off ebay was too long and didn't fully seat when retracted, which is bad as rain will come in here in PDX. Leaving out or cutting down the short plastic piece on the small end will allow full retraction, and if you countersink the hole it lets you thread the spline in MUCH easier.

Shame I had to pull entire rear interior !!

·
Registered
5 Posts
By replacement mast do you mean one that's fixed? I am not a great mechanic but I have replaced a wiper motor before. My son's power antenna is broken (96 Camry) and I was wondering if there was a plain old antenna that I can use instead of the power one. Thanks in advance.

·
Lost to follow up!
96 Camry Coupes
12,155 Posts
By replacement mast do you mean one that's fixed? I am not a great mechanic but I have replaced a wiper motor before. My son's power antenna is broken (96 Camry) and I was wondering if there was a plain old antenna that I can use instead of the power one. Thanks in advance.
You can find universal non-power antennas that will work on Ebay, or you could do the S2K conversion like many have done at the link below. :thumbsup: (Including me) :lol:

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/107-camry-solara-lounge/65507-s2000-antenna-conversion-diy-pics-56k-will-take-over-your-comp.html

·
Registered
6,113 Posts
The one I referenced is for the retractible mast portion. If you can still hear the motor working, the mast is most likely broken. The mast has a wwhite nylon whip at the end with gear-like teeth on one side. Replacement of this has been covered numerous times on this forum. Do a search and you should find a few threads on how to replace it.

Mike

·
TOYOTA Pride
Scion tC, 94 Camry
354 Posts
Thank you for the Write up!

·
Premium Member
1993 Camry SE,V6-5MT
827 Posts
here is how to replace just the mast:

Buy a new mast from the dealer, they cost about $60 (used to be really cheap when all Toyotas had these power masts, but not any more). Or you might still be able to buy a much cheaper version from Pep Boys / Rock Auto, if they still sell them.

If the old mast is all in one piece (that is, it still goes up and down, but is bent or something) you can remove and replace it using the radio:

with the key in the locked position, hold down the "AM" button (if no CD player), or the "CD" button (if CD player) and turn the key to "AUX". The Antenna will begin extending, for about 30 seconds. Leave the key in AUX and get out and help the mast extend up and out. Once it is fully extended, give it a very firm pull and the whole thing will come out.

Feed in the end of the nylon strip of the new mast until you feel it slip past the collar at the bottom and begin to engage with the gear inside (teeth of the nylon strip facing rearward), and then turn the key back to "Lock". The antenna will begin retracting for about 30 seconds and you should help it engage with the gear and after it is as much retracted as it goes, then turn the key back to AUX and turn the radio on/off a couple of times until the mast is fully seated and parks fully down.

If the nylon strip has broken (and by this age, that is likely), then the housing has to come apart to extract the broken pieces: For images of this process see TedMich post just above mine. Below is description.

The antenna assembly comes out once the two nuts holding it to the inner fender, and the top, chrome nut is loosened (use a nylon, or sharp wooden stick to push the nut around so when it does slip off the little slots you won't damage your fender's paint) - sometimes wiggling the whole antenna around will help allow that top nut move more easily. Disconnect the antenna wire and the wire harness connector and bring the unit to the workbench.

Then, unscrew the small nut in the center of the housing (8mm) and carefully lift off the cover. The broken nylon toothed strip may begin to spring out.

Remove the "C" clip holding own the inner cover and carefully extract all of the little pieces of the nylon strip. If necessary, also remove the inner drive gear.

Before re-assembly, make sure the pieces of the housing all go back together flush (there is an inner cover that goes around the drive gear, and it has to engage a couple of smaller gears, if they are not properly aligned the cover won't sit flush. When they are, it will sit flush and you are ready to reinstall the inner cover and then the black outer cover (make sure its perimeter seal is in place and not interfering with its fit).

I used a general purpose moly grease from the auto parts store (moly grease tends to be colored black). With the drive gear out, I was able to clean out the brown/rusty old dry stuff and replace with new grease pretty easily.

Re-assemble everything (without the mast, as you can't get the covers on with the nylon strip coiled up inside trying to push everything apart), re-install the unit to the fender and then use the above mast installation process to put that in.

Norm

1 - 14 of 14 Posts