Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You guys must be bored to tears with all the posts about the power antenna on the wagon...just got my wagon about 3 weeks ago with 87,000 miles...
antenna makes a noise for awhile, about 20 seconds and then stops...my mechanic thought it was a bent mast, replaced it without good results...what do you think? do I need to replace the whole thing, as my mechanic suggests or...?
Thanks for your time
schach

·
What Toyota?
2008 Saab 9-3
10,477 Posts
The power antennas on these cars are junk. It's probably just a trashed plastic gear on the inside on the mechanical housing. But you can't order replacement gears. So just replace the whole thing with another NON MOVING one. (Any auto parts store, $10. Or check out the S2000 antenna retrofit mod in the sticky.) If you buy a another power/moving one, it's just going to break again. Just my 2 cents. ;)

·
92 Camry 5S-FE
92 Camry 5S-FE
485 Posts
Rather than replacing the mast it's probably easier and cheaper to find a whole unit at a junkyard if you want oem. I'm not sure about the wagons, but I know the sedans can accept the celica power antennas as well. They are nearly identical, and it bolted right onto mine.

·
92 Camry 5S-FE
92 Camry 5S-FE
485 Posts
I pulled mine from a newer celica so it wasn't that old, but yes there is a risk. I just couldn't justify paying an arm and a leg for a new unit.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
simplest approach

I just talked to my mechanic again...he says the simplest way is leave it up and disconnect the motor,,,just don't go through car washes...
thanks for the replies
Schach

·
Wagon Crew
Camry SWAGGER WAGON
1,515 Posts
Mine works, but I hate how it looks being like six feet above the car:lol:
First I disconnected it when it was down, but reception was really poor. So I disconnected it about 1/3 to 1/2 way up. Looks better and get pretty good reception now.
hey...so my antenna is also broken. i got a used unit off a parts car for $20 bucks. how did u get that panel off man? i cant figure it out. also, when they took out the one from the parts car...they just cut all the wires. will i have to splice the wires to connect it? u can PM me so we are not thread jackin. lol. thanks man.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts