Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1997 corolla DX, 251K miles with power windows and door locks. No key fobs or remote door openers/starters. The doors instantly lock when you push the unlock switch on either the drivers or passengers door. When you manually raise the "lock button", the door will relock itself within minutes. When you use the key in the door and single twist to open the drivers door, it instantly relocks. When you double twist, all four doors instantly relock. Any idea of what the problem is? Possibly the power door relay? Where is it? How do I get to it to replace it? Possibly the drivers door switch due to wear? ideas?

·
Registered
525 Posts
What you could do, is to disconnect the power lock in the driver's door. If the problems disappear, then the door switch is probably worn out. I suppose the easiest way would be to replace the latch assembly. Just pick one up from a junkyard.
If disconnecting the driver's door does not help, you could try the passenger's door as well. But if I remember correctly, there is no switch in the passenger's door. Using the key to open it does not open the rest of the doors.

The power door control relay is located above the glovebox.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
christine-solved?

Thanks for the info on the location of the relay. I pulled the fuse temporarily to not have to deal with the problem. Two days later, I reinserted the fuse and the locks work as they are supposed to. I suspect that the heavy rain we had prior to the malfunction had something to do with it. The car has had several windshields replaced and is rusting terribly above the windshield. It's possible water got down to the relay. My son had noticed a drip inside when the car is left out in the rain and I noticed that the headliner is stained near the top of the windshield. Time to donate her to the local junk yard. I got the 250,000 miles out of her that I said I would get when we bought her new. She'll have 252K before the end of the month. thanks to all for your help.
Toyotas rock!

·
Registered
'03 Sequoia
416 Posts
Thanks for the info on the location of the relay. I pulled the fuse temporarily to not have to deal with the problem. Two days later, I reinserted the fuse and the locks work as they are supposed to. I suspect that the heavy rain we had prior to the malfunction had something to do with it. The car has had several windshields replaced and is rusting terribly above the windshield. It's possible water got down to the relay. My son had noticed a drip inside when the car is left out in the rain and I noticed that the headliner is stained near the top of the windshield. Time to donate her to the local junk yard. I got the 250,000 miles out of her that I said I would get when we bought her new. She'll have 252K before the end of the month. thanks to all for your help.
Toyotas rock!
Get the shop that screwed up the windshield install to remove it and redo correctly. It would REALLY suck to get rid of good working car for a leaky windshield only. Why pay for a new car when you can still use it. Plan for the new car and stick $300/month into a savings account until this car dies. Use taht money for a down payment on the new one. Don't touch the funds except for the new car or some parts for this one. This will be your "new car/keep old one running fund only" If you have to touch the $300/month for other expenses than obviously you would need a cheaper car because the finance companies don't care if you have other expenses. They want their monthly payment.

Before you donate it there are MANY members on here looking for headlights and turn signals as well as gauge clusters if you have a tachometer. HOOK 'EM UP WITH SOME GOOD DEALS!!!!!

At worst call one of the donation places that give you a good write off on taxes for working old vehicles.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts