Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Fellas,

I'm new here, first post as a matter of fact, and have a problem I hope you can help me with.

The power door locks on my 97' Camry has gone crazy. I was looking see if anyone here has had this problem before.

The power switch on the driver and passenger side will only lock and unlock the rear doors. I have to manually lock and unlock both the driver and passenger side doors. When I unlock the car with my key, one turn of the key unlocks the driver door, and two normally unlocks the rest, however, that will only unlock the rear doors and not the passenger side.

Now here is the real crazy part, after you start the car and drive a couple of miles, the rear doors will unlock on their own if they aren't already unlocked.

My Tacoma has never had this problem, and I'm not sure where to start. Could it be the driver or passenger side door switch? I've heard there is some kind of "master switch" in the dash/knee area that could be faulty, as well as wiring in the door.

I don't have a remote door opening device.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Sedan Life
2003 Lexus ES300
5,115 Posts
moved to gen 3-4 section!
youll get more answers here...welcome to TN

·
Registered
03 CAMRY XLE
3,243 Posts
Sounds like it might be the Integration Relay, labeled I18...located to the left of the steering column, behind the dash...see p. 30 of Gen 4 wiring diagram.
I18 should have an orange connector...looks like 13 wires. Maybe get a replacement Relay from a salvage yard ... to confirm that is the problem.

Also, there is a junction coupler, labeled J30/J31, located behind the glove compartment that might be the problem. It should have two gray plugs...Most of the wires look like they are light blue with either red or black stripes... Get a spray can of electrical contact cleaner ...remove both gray plugs and clean thoroughly with the contact cleaner...let dry a minute and replace.

You might try first removing the I18 Integration Relay, cleaning all the related contacts and terminals with contact cleaner and then snugly reseating it.
Frequently, electrical problems are just a matter of poor or intermittent electrical conductivity, caused by oxide buildup, oil, moisture, dust...

Is your car Japan made...VIN begins with a J?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts