Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have a 2012 Camry LE. Since I bought the car about 5 years ago, I've been experiencing power loss in hot weather in Florida. I estimate about 15% power loss. A search showed me this is known phenomenon for many car brands.

Is there anything we can do to this Camry model to prevent the power loss?

Note, I always use 87 grade Top Tier Gas.

Thanks.

·
Registered
19 Posts
There are a few things you could look into.

When was the last time you had your radiator flushed and coolant changed?

Is your radiator cap on securely and not corroded?

You may want to have your thermostat inspected to ensure it functions properly and your engine’s cooling fans run when they are supposed to.

Is there any possibility of an exhaust leak? Metal and couplings expand when hot.

When was the last time you inspected your engine air intake filter? Make sure it’s clean or replaced. Also may be good to inspect the air flow sensor on the intake tube to ensure it’s clean and functioning properly (if dirty, it can be cleaned with some CRC electrical cleaner).

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Don't flush anything.

The easiest thing to do is to run the tank empty and fill it up with premium fuel once to see what happens.

If premium 93octaneUSA fuel made a difference, I would run a couple bottles of quality PEA based FI cleaners, which will also clean the intake valves/ports, combustion chambers, and pistons. BG44k, 20oz Techron Concentrate, Amsoil PI, Redline SI1, Lubegard Fuel Booster, RoyalPurple MaxClean,.... are some worth trying. Buy a couple DIFFERENT brands, one product for each of your next 2-3 3/4+ tank fill-ups.

If the FI cleaners don't help and issue continues with USA87octane fuel, I would drain radiator, replace thermostat, refill radiator and recovery bottle, replace radiator cap, and see if its a cooling related issues. Also verify that the radiator fans are working.

I am also assuming that your spark plugs are good and air filter has been changed regularly, and that your oil/filter combo has regular intervals.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Don't flush anything.

The easiest thing to do is to run the tank empty and fill it up with premium fuel once to see what happens.

If premium 93octaneUSA fuel made a difference, I would run a couple bottles of quality PEA based FI cleaners, which will also clean the intake valves/ports, combustion chambers, and pistons. BG44k, 20oz Techron Concentrate, Amsoil PI, Redline SI1, Lubegard Fuel Booster, RoyalPurple MaxClean,.... are some worth trying. Buy a couple DIFFERENT brands, one product for each of your next 2-3 3/4+ tank fill-ups.

If the FI cleaners don't help and issue continues with USA87octane fuel, I would drain radiator, replace thermostat, refill radiator and recovery bottle, replace radiator cap, and see if its a cooling related issues. Also verify that the radiator fans are working.

I am also assuming that your spark plugs are good and air filter has been changed regularly, and that your oil/filter combo has regular intervals.
Curious why you wouldn’t perform a flush. The vehicle is 7 years old and sounds as if the OP is the 2nd owner. If a major part of the cooling system may be fouled/clogged, I would not rule it out.

I’m not sure a fuel-related service would address a heat-related issue. The spark plugs, injectors and fuel filter would cause sluggishness/issues regardless of ambient temperature. Also, as OP mentioned, they’ve been running top tier gas as long as they’ve owned it and that gas already is loaded with detergents. The cleaners you recommend are typically for vehicles that have been neglected or abused or have engines with a tendency to “sludge.”

·
BeerSteakTxas
2012 Camry LE
10,494 Posts
This is absolutely normal. Try to drive a small turbo in TX during 95+ degree spikes, it's like running on 3 cyl and turbo lag feels like forever. :)

I had a buddy who rigged his 90 something Accord for TX summers, cuz it felt like running on 40 hp when T went above 80: he plugged one AC duct and rerouted another one to the engine compartment and connected the duct to the air box and almost completely blocked the oem intake opening. :) Basically he was feeding cold AC air to the engine and the car was running like it was 60 degree outside. :)

·
short-throw dipstick
5,942 Posts
Normal behavior. In fact, us Insight guys sometimes do a "warm-air intake" mod to reduce power and boost fuel economy even more.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Power loss may be imaginary. Orlando, Florida gets up to only 90-95 degrees F in the summer and I've never heard of an owner of an unmodified and well maintained fuel injected Camry exhibiting noticable power loss at 95 degrees vs say 70 or 75.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Red/Pink coolant don't have silicates that would cause fouling/clogging. So, no flush is ever need if any of the modern coolant were used. The vehicle is a 2012.... what coolant did it come with? how long is its life?

Heat brings out issues. Carbon/crud caused detonation in warm weather will make the knock sensor more active. Remove that crud and issue could go away. Won't happen as much when cooler or unloaded.

Toptier helps as prevention. It isn't an end-all solution to buildup. Even with toptier, one needs to still run a bottle to shock any buildup away.

Some of us bypass the coolant hoses routed to the TB for less warming of the intake air during the summer. Modding is sometimes too much for many owners. So, start with better fuel, a good system de-carboning with a couple tanks of fuel and cleaner, and then address the cooling system. Bluetooth obd plug in with a phone app can provide data to help.

Its just too easy to fill up with premium and see if issue continues.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts