Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody have information about how to use those outlets with normal electronic devices,
e.g. a laptop? The manual doesn't say anything about adapters...
I would appreciate any advice!

Thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
rao-d-rao said:
Does anybody have information about how to use those outlets with normal electronic devices,
e.g. a laptop? The manual doesn't say anything about adapters...
I would appreciate any advice!
Thanks
If you're talking about the 12 volt accessory outlets then go to any Radio Shack or other electronics store and get a DC-to-AC inverter. It plugs into the 12 volt outlets and converts it to 120V that you can then plug a laptop or anything else into (as long as it doesn't draw too much current, like a microwave oven!)

-Bruce

·
Registered
08 Highlander Ltd
2 Posts
i have a question along the lines of this:

i wanna start off by saying that i'm a total car noob.

okay, i wanted to instal a power inverter but have it directly connected to my car battery instead of using the lighter plugs. i know hybrids have different batteries. i can't connect it to the hybrid battery, can i? what are the recommendations if i wanna have a few outlets that are connected directly to a battery?

i have a 2008 HiHy limited

·
Registered
19 Posts
There is a "normal" 12v battery, but it's much smaller than a normal car uses, since it is not used to start the ICE. It's mainly used to run accessories when the vehicle is "OFF" (mode 1).

It's also used to filter the 288-to-14volt inverter, which runs all LOW power accessories... lights, radio, wipers, cig. lighters, ECU, etc.

The power steering, aircon, etc. are high voltage electric powered from the traction battery (288v).

There are (apparently) 2 accessory outlet fuses, both 15 Amp (see owners manual, or Google).

Don't plan on putting "heavy" loads on the 12v battery, it's not like a regular car that uses an Alternator to charge it... there is NO alternator. The 12v (14v) circuit comes from the Synergy inverter system, that has a circuit specifically for dropping the 288volt traction battery voltage down to 12/14volts. THis part of the Inverter onyl operates when the vehicle is "running" ("Ready").

As long as you stay within the 15Amp rating of the dual accessory outlets, everythign will be fine... as long as you do NOT run them very long after the vehicle is turned OFF.

This is one reason some HiHy owners have had to replace their 12v battery multiple times... they simply do not understand its limitations, by design.

Most "normal" vehicles have a 12v battery rated for 80-100 Amp/hours, since they are called on to "cold crank" the Internal Combustion Engine (ICE). The HiHy 12v battery is only around 50 Amp/hours, since it's not being asked to do very much (the 288volt traction battery actually "starts" the ICE when needed).

Hope this helps!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts