Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Camry
2,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After replacing the power steering belt (OEM Toyota belt) - on 2001 Camry V6, 105,000 miles - now it makes a chirping/squealing noise. The noise happens momentarily but it is making my wive nuts. All i did was change the belt but she thinks that could be the cause - i don't.

The noise happens under the following conditions:
1. Engine cold, at first start after sitting overnight, or a cold start after 4 or 5 hours have past (we are in Calif it only gets down to about 40 degrees here) and -

2. When steering wheel is turned all the way left or right to the end of its travel. (I tell her not to do this whenever possible because my knowledge is that this is bad for the power steering pump - but she wont acccept this answer).

The belt is properly tensioned and even if it weren't, i dont believe this would explain the screeching when the wheel is turned all the way left or right...I think the noise happens when the fluid is cold and thick, i am going to try a fluid change, if this doesn't work does any else have any ideas, fixes, suggestions?

·
Sedan Life
2003 Lexus ES300
5,115 Posts
water pump is most likely going up....very common on toyotas in general...pop the hood and look for coolant leakage
2001 camry is a 4th generation by the way...post in the correct fourm for accurate answers, as if it was a 5th gen 2002-2003 model, there is a TSB relating to a squealing at startup due to a faulty tensioner

·
Registered
6,146 Posts
Marc,

I had the same issue on my 94 4 cylinder 5SFE engine alst year, after I replaced both the power steering belt and the alternator belt with OEM Toyota belts. They do stretch out after a bit of use. I had to go back and retighten the power steering belt. My 98 4 cylinder 5SFE engine did the same thing after I let the dealer replace the timing belt and the 2 accessory belts a few years back. I was back at the dealer a week later to have them retighten the power steering belt. You would think that the Toyota OEM belts wouldn't stretch out like the aftermarket belts, but they apparently do. I would just try to retighten the power steering belt on your wife's car before doing anything else.

Mike

1 - 3 of 3 Posts