Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have any ideas/experience with a 2001 Highlander losing/leaking power steering fluid? The leak is coming from somewhere on the "passenger" side - but I haven't been able to find the source yet. The (p. s fluid) reservoir and (reservoir) hose connections, and the power steering pump and hose connections at the pump are all dry (no leaks ). The leak has to be coming from the rack, or some other connection - but it isn't readily visible from above or from below.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
is it coming out of teh pass billows? if it is full my only squirt out when turing right?

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Is it coming out of the pass billows? if it is full of leaking fluid might only squirt out when turing right?
Also my '04 weeps just a bit on the plug on the bottom of the rack where the steering wheel shaft terminates. Hoping a littlle stop a leak and new fluid does the trick.;)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Highlander 03 Power steering leak

Hello,
I have a leak at the junction where the METAL pipe meets a rubber grommet at the passenger's side. It is located just behind the wheel.
I beleive that I will need to change the hose from fitting 1 which is just below the radiator and the second one which is just behind the passenger's side wheel.

I belive that this is a low pressure line...but am not sure.
My question is , can I simply "unclamp" the hoses at the fitting and install a new hose?
Is there a hi-pressure oil build up in that hose?
Any precautions necessary?
THANKS!! for ANY help on this!

·
Registered
30 Posts
I just had my 04 done, it ws leaking on the pass side, by the frame rail, it was rusted . It was the return line, so no pressure to worry about. The part is dealer only , no aftermarket available, toyota wanted 175.00 for the pipe.. I took it to my mechanic 60 bucks, parts 4$, rest labour. He just replaced it with copper tubing, in that section,. simple fix .

·
Registered
34 Posts
I just had my 04 done, it ws leaking on the pass side, by the frame rail, it was rusted . It was the return line, so no pressure to worry about. The part is dealer only , no aftermarket available, toyota wanted 175.00 for the pipe.. I took it to my mechanic 60 bucks, parts 4$, rest labour. He just replaced it with copper tubing, in that section,. simple fix .
do you have any pics of the replacement? my 02 highlander has the same leak too due to rusted line where the rubber meet, I want to see how your man fixed that? thanks

·
Registered
639 Posts
Both of the rubber hoses coming from the plastic PS fluid reservoir are low pressure hoses. I am sure all the rubber hoses on the reservoir side of the system are low pressure - especially when the engine isn't running.

·
Registered
34 Posts
my leak happen at where the rubber hose and return pipe connect got rusted, it leak right there where on the frame behind the front pass wheel.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello all, Thanks for tips, I have a 05 highlander, and the same leak just started, and it didnt take long to blow out, my leak appears to be inside of some black plastic wrap around the metal tube close to the frame. Is this a easy to fix prob. or should I take it to a pro. It's my only ride, and I need it rolling, not leaking.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Billows!

Hello all, Thanks for tips, I have a 05 highlander, and the same leak just started, and it didnt take long to blow out, my leak appears to be inside of some black plastic wrap around the metal tube close to the frame. Is this a easy to fix prob. or should I take it to a pro. It's my only ride, and I need it rolling, not leaking.

Does it look like a accordian, that is the billows or colapsable boot that protects the end of the steering rack in inner tie rod joint. A picture would help

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know this is an old post but, this just happened to me in my 2003 HL Limited 4WD.
The metal tube line that returns fluid to the res. is Toyota part # 44416-48092. I just paid the dealer $90.00 for the line and changed it myself.
Approx. 90 min. to do.
Jack up the pass. side add jack stand, remove wheel.
The tube line attaches at the pump and to the line running back up to the res. right at the lower front attached to the frame by two screws. You need to remove the plastic shrouding underneath to gain access to this fitting in the front.
Note: be sure res. is empty or have a catch can ready to let any p.s. fluid drain into once you remove the front of the metal line where it goes into the rubber hose.
Pretty easy taking the old line out but, be careful snaking the new one in so not to kink it TAKE YOUR TIME HERE!
Slide the new ends in. The one at the pump is a rubber line over metal at the pump the other at the front is the metal tube line going into rubber. Use existing clamps. Replace everything in reverse order. Let car down.
I then like to jack the car up in the front so both wheels just barley come off the ground fill the res. the start the car and turn the wheel side to side to top it off.
Let it down, check for leaks test drive then again check for leaks then done.
Filling with Dexron trans. fluid.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Power steering fluid leak

I just replace my hose. Went to NAPA and they were charging me 49.00 delivered to my house. Well after almost a week they sent me no update nor any communication. So I emailed NAPA and they cancelled my order, the part was on manufacture back order with no projected date. So I called a couple dealers and found one on hand for 98 and change. Installed in about an hour and a half. Tough to get to the rear hose clamp at the gears, but finalyy all set. Installed filled with fluid and immediately needed more fluid.. less that half a quart. all good now.. Time to clean the driveway!
:eek:

·
Registered
1 Posts
This just happened on my 2005 highlander - at what point would this be considered a recall?

The frames on the tacomas were rusting out a few years ago and they bought back peoples trucks. I dont want them to buy my SUV however I had to replace the power steering pump because of this.

·
Registered
14 Posts
This just happened on my 2005 highlander - at what point would this be considered a recall?

The frames on the tacomas were rusting out a few years ago and they bought back peoples trucks. I dont want them to buy my SUV however I had to replace the power steering pump because of this.
Your not going to get a recall for a rusted hose connection on a 10 year old car, this is considered surface rust and normal wear and tear. Ferrous metal rusts (especially if you live where they salt the roads) and hoses get old. The extended 15 year frame warranty was for rust that was so bad it could perforate the frames of 2005-2010 Tacoma's that resided in northern states where the roads are salted. It wasn't a recall, Toyota just decided to make it right, as well they should.
I'm sure it also made a lot of owners happy that made the mistake of dipping the rear end of their Tacoma's at the salt water boat ramps (LOL) Dont do this with any vehicle!
Preventative maintenance and yearly detailed inspections with followup on worn or rusty parts and fittings will prevent a lot of unscheduled repairs, but most people are of the"if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality, and some take it to the other extreme. I don't like surprises, staying in front of repairs lets me find less expensive quality parts and keeps the vehicles on the road.
I try and change all the fluids in my cars once a year. I'm no mechanic and usually I can afford the luxury of having the dealer or my indy do most of the work on my cars. But by doing it myself once a year, I can get under there and inspect for leaks, nasty looking connections, etc. If I see something that doesn't look right, I research it here, then decide if I'm going to DIY or take it in, or leave it be. Fluid changes are simple, cheap, don't take long and anyone with the motivation can do it.
Been rocking an 03 Highlander since new and an 01 BMW 325i for 150,XXX with little down time and nominal expense.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just replace my hose. Went to NAPA and they were charging me 49.00 delivered to my house. Well after almost a week they sent me no update nor any communication. So I emailed NAPA and they cancelled my order, the part was on manufacture back order with no projected date. So I called a couple dealers and found one on hand for 98 and change. Installed in about an hour and a half. Tough to get to the rear hose clamp at the gears, but finalyy all set. Installed filled with fluid and immediately needed more fluid.. less that half a quart. all good now.. Time to clean the driveway!
:eek:
Does anyone have part Number for the rusted out line, NAPA or Toyota.
Got the same leak and the bellows look fine.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Reviving string:
2003 V6 AWD 310k miles. My return line between the power steering rack and the side port of the reservoir sprung a leak last week. Sure enough it was that section of metal line that runs along the frame rail, passenger side. Edit: all rusty and ugly, that metal line. This is the second time it has failed...in the same place! Must be bi-metallic corrosion. (*Get it?) Last time about 8 years ago, when the car was 8 years old so I guess the longevity of the part is...umm...about 8 years. Yup.
Rather than replace again with a Genuine Toyota part ($250 parts and labor) I fixed it right myself. I simply ran the line in 3/8 inch rubber power steering hose obtained from NAPA Auto (w/two small radiator clamps). As a connector between the existing lower section of hose and my new hose I trimmed about 2 inches off the end of the old metal line, cleaned it up on the bench grinder wire wheel and clamped it between the two sections. Badda-Boom. Fixed. Cost $9.
The roughest part was removing and re-installing the alternator to get at the lower hose connection. That is a beeotch! *I know...lame.
Haya....:grin:
Edit: I suspect the corrosion damage to the line is accelerated here in the snow and SALT belt of lower Michigan. Wintertime, they salt everything. The main roads, the side roads, the parking lots, the sidewalks. Everything. If left standing in one spot too long they will salt your ass, your mule, your horse and your donkey. Lottsa salt used here! Yup.
:surprise: Haya....

·
Registered
34 Posts
Reviving too, as I'm about to replace this PS return line. It's seeping and is now soaked with PS fluid, but not dripping yet. I noticed it when removing my winter wheels and snows yesterday. It's the return line under the crank pulley as was mentioned in an earlier post. (I just replaced a similar line in my 04 Acura TSX 6 months ago - it also was rusted out, and started to drip on my driveway).

My HL is an 06 V6 AWD Limited, with towing package, 160K miles.

My Toyota part is # 44416-48082. I believe the part for the non-towing pkg equipped HL is # 44416-48092.
$115 list, $90 discounted from the usual Toyota online sellers. Can buy OE on eBay for $66 shipped.
Rockauto has a popular aftermarket at $32 shipped. Most of the time, I buy OE parts. But, I figured that since the original OE part lasted this long, I should be able to get by for a few more years with an aftermarket part in this 06 HL. There are several different aftermarket replacement lines available at Rockauto, including the OE Toyota.

Hope this info helps the next one who finds this thread.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
About this Discussion
31 Replies
19 Participants
Hayabusafalcon
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing