Toyota Nation Forum banner

power steering fluid

4K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  mcgill_redmen 
#1 ·
05 camry ps fluid cap mention Dex II or III, can I use Mobil 1 3309?

#2 ·
I don't know what Mobil 1 3309 is. My advice to you is to find something that says power steering fluid. Here at our store, we use a Napa brand power steering fluid. Power steering is not as critical as the engine or trans on the correct fluid. So, if the Mobil 1 3309 says that it is a power steering fluid, can't see why it wouldn't hurt.

#5 ·
Not PSF, but Dexron ATF. ATF is superior to PSF. It's cheap so why not get the right thing and not worry about it? SuperTech ATF is like $2.50/qt.

Nobody really knows what will happen if you put in 3309. If you ever have problems, you'll wonder if 3309 had a part in it.

A suck and refill every year and you'll never worry about your pump or leaks, ever. A bottle will last you 4 years and it's cheaper than a single oil change.

#8 · (Edited)
SuperTech Automatic Transmission Fluid is from Walmart. Any PSF you find at walmart is probably not going to be as good as ATF.

It's certainly possible that 3309 will be fine or even work better. Honestly I don't know. You can go over to bobistheoilguy.com and PM Molakule. He is a formulator and has formulated his own PSF.

EDIT: Noticed you lived in Canada. A synthetic ATF like Mobil 1, Amsoil, redline D4 will make steering easier in the winter. Not necessary, but just letting you know the benefits. Oh, and 3309 is not synthetic.

#7 ·
You can either do Power steering fluid or DEXRON III trans fluid. I prefer power steering fluid becaue it is a lighter color and can easily differentiate when leaks occur. But it won't hurt your system to use DEXRON III.

Not really sure, the T-IV will hurt also.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.