Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Moose crossing.......
93 Camry/95 Camry
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another question,

I've noticed that when it's cool outside *here in texas that's like 70* that when I first start up the car in the morning I don't have any power steering. Fluid levels seem to be fine, but when I'm backing up and steering and even as I start to drive away i don't have any power steering. It's does this to me not every cold morning but just from time to time. I started to notice it last fall after i got to stationed in Texas, and now with the cooler months comming I'd like to get a better idea of what I could do to fix it. Anyone got any ideas?

·
TN's Resident Car Whore!
'95 DSM Eclipse RS
5,978 Posts
^^Yeah I have that problem right now, but no money to fix it.

·
Gen 4 XLE v6
02 Toy Solara V6 MT
3,192 Posts
i'm guessing your p/s pump is failing or the high pressure hose. If you see leakage in your driveway, then its just a $35 dollar part....(high pressure hose) get that replaced. Ortherwise its your pump.

On my celica..i had that humming noice, but no leakage in 2001, i added something from an autoparts store that indicated it would "stop leaks and seals" it was a 7-8 dollar part. I added that in 01, in 03 it started humming again and this time there was leakage..thats when i replaced the hose. So i'd definately at least try that cheaper solution before guessign its my pump/hose

·
Moose crossing.......
93 Camry/95 Camry
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well, this is where I get confused about it though, in that i haven't had the problem since like April now...I think it may have done it once or twice since then...but really it only seemed to happen on the cooler mornings. Ussually I could hear a bit of a squealing noise, and of course my own grunting from trying to turn the wheels :) Once I started to drive down the road it would stay like that for anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or two and then everything else would go back to normal.

·
Gen 4 XLE v6
02 Toy Solara V6 MT
3,192 Posts
Just add a bit more fluid. A lot of times (i know this on old cars tho) the fluid level from a visual glance seems full when infact its the formation of a thin flim on the inside and the actual levels are lower than what the film indicates.....bounce the cars, if the fluid shakes then its fluid, if not..its just a level of film thats perm. discolored the gauge. (i hope i'm making sence..cus that last scenario was what i discoved in a chysler...it seemed full..but the fluid wasn't shaking...).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts