Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Tacoma 4x4
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My PS pump was making a lot of noise and the rack was leaking a bit so I bought a new rack and a re-manufactured pump (w/o reservoir) and had a shop install them for me. The next morning when I started my truck the new pump was still vibrating and making that whining sound. However, when I drove for 5 mins or so till the truck was warm I would turn the truck off and back on and the noise/vibration was gone. It got worse, however, to the point where the vibrating/noise was constant and eventually the fluid was bubbling out of the reservoir and the power steering failed all together. Thinking it was a faulty re-mannied pump I had another one installed only to do the same thing. So I thought it could be the filter on the reservoir so I took a long brush and tried to clean the filter. This caused the noise to go away. But the fluid was brown not red so I sucked the fluid out of the reservoir and replaced it, and now the SP sounds even worse and vibrates like crazy, and it's harder to steer. I don't understand what is wrong with the system, has anyone had this kind of problem? Any suggestions?

·
Ukrainian Automotive
334 Posts
My dad's tacoma was leaking from the rack and the pump would make noise when the steering fluid got low. We installed a reman rack ourselves (I'm told you can't but them new) and had a shop align the wheels. We never replaced the pump. My guess would be that there are air bubbles in your system.

·
Registered
2001 Tacoma 4x4
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The fluid kept stinking bad and getting really cavitated after long drives. Also, I remembered Tacos take ATF not power steering fluid, but the fluid in my res was brownish and not red at all. Can ATF break down and turn brown? I'm thinking that the shop put the wrong fluid in my truck in the first place. So, I unscrewed the nut on the back of the ps pump and drained all the fluid I could by turning the wheel. Then with the nut back on, I had a friend fill the res with ATF as I turned the wheel. Almost immediately the sound went away and it was easier to steer. In the morning when the truck is really cold in only whines for about thirty seconds then goes away on its own without turning the truck on and off. Maybe I didn't drain all the old fluid? Is there a was to drain from the rack?

·
Ukrainian Automotive
334 Posts
ATF does turn brown as it older. I've heard that you can actually use PS fluid or ATF fluid in Toyota as long as they aren't mixed. I don't know if it is true but I do know if they are mixed it can create problems. And there is no drain from the rack.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts