Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I recently changed the serpentine belt in my 2000 Celica GT. After I changed the belt, turned on the car and it was working perfectly, drove it for about 2 miles and no problems. After driving for about 16 miles when I went to turn, the steering was extremely hard and it started to make a really loud noise in the front. I stopped and checked and the reservoir of the PS was overflowing. I have checked every single belt diagram I have been able to find on the net and according to all of them the belt is placed in the right position. I don't know what to do I'm confused. Can anybody help???
Thank you

·
Registered
5 Posts
when you removed every piece of the engine off to get access to the timing belt, did you move the power steering reservoir? if so, this can cause the fluid to be uneven and have air in the power steering system, causing the power steering pump to make whiny noises and malfunction.

Solution:
1. make sure the car is in the OFF position.
2. jack up the front of the car making sure both the front wheels up not touching the ground.
3. as added caution, put jackstands under each side.
4. put your Toyota Celica key in the ignition.
5. turn the key to start the engine.
6. get out of the car and remove the cap from the power steering reservoir.
7. get back in the car.
8. turn the steering wheel clockwise slowly all the way. when it reaches the end, do not go any further.
9. turn the steering wheel counter-clockwise slowly all the way. when it reaches the end, do not go any further.
10. repeat steps 8 and 9.
11. repeat step 10.
12. repeat steps 8 and 9.
13. repeat step 11.
14. keep turning the steering wheel until noise from the power steering pump dramatically changes.
15. get out of car.
16. wipe off power steering fluid excess which have overflowed due to bleeding the air out of the power steering system.
17. refill the power steering fluid and top off to the MAX or FULL level.
18. recap the reservoir.
19. turn off engine.
20. jack the engine 2 inches higher.
21. remove jack stands.
22. lower the vehicle using the jack.
23. restart the engine and test drive.
24. inspect for noise and steering response.

note: if the response of the steering has not completely returned, repeat steps 1 through 24. Repeat the steps as many times as needed to bleed out the air in the power steering system.

Cliffs: air in power steering system, bleed it out.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your response. I did the whole process for like 2 hours and it got better, the whining noise has lessen but when I drive it the steering is still super hard. There is still bubbles of air coming out of the reservoir and if I stop moving the steering the whining noise comes back after like 45 secs. I am going to try again tonight. Also, a mechaninc is going to check it today I would let you know what he says. Thank you very much again for your response:D

·
Registered
5 Posts
there's a better way to bleed your power steering.. but judging on how you ended up with this problem with only replacing the belts... this would be the most painless and error proof for ya.. next time.. just don't tip the reservoir over.. =P
it makes more of difference when you actually drive it around with load on the wheels. keep turning around and everything.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for your hell again. A mechanic checked it today and I guess Im just having bad luck, the power steering pump went bad and I have to replace it. he said it was just coincidence that the pump went bad after I replaced the belt. So I guess that's it for this:facepalm:.
Thank you

·
Registered
1 Posts
Something similar happened today. Changed the belt and engine mount (near to PS oil resovoir)

Started the car and PS pump is making noises and steering is hard.

will try above tips and report back.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts