Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Taco has been "moaning" lately and it's coming from the PS system. An Indy I use sometimes thinks the Steering Rack needs replacing, but I think the Pump needs to be replaced. But first, I wanted to drain the PS Fluid and replace it, as I've read here that sometimes that will cure the problem. (I guess after 260k miles the fluid might be a little worn out.) My first question is how do you flush the system properly?

I have read in the Chilton Manual (which does not describe a flushing procedure) that trucks with RWAL systems can require a dealer service to bleed the steering and anti-lock system properly. My second question is, how do I tell if my truck has RWAL?

Thanks! -Cal

·
This Space For Rent
14,150 Posts
So you've never changed out the PS fluid in all these years? I think all the contamination in the fluid has ruined the pump, so I think both of you may be correct.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can't remember if it was ever flushed before, but I figure it can't hurt to do that first. :eek: The real question is how to do it properly. Should I pull the return hose off the pump and run it dry? Is there a drain plug somewhere? My Chilton manual is absolutely no help here...

·
This Space For Rent
14,150 Posts
The only way I've heard of it being done is to jack up the front, grab a turkey baster and suck up the old fluid and replace with new. Turn the steering wheel from side to side a few times. Break out the turkey baster and suck up more fluid, turn wheel etc. Do this until the fluid is mostly or all clear.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I found a link around here on flushing the system and gave it a shot on Saturday. The crud that came out at first was pretty dark and had lots of chunks that came out. I'm guessing those are the remains of the vanes that make the pump work. I didn't realize that at first, but as the color became closer to the stuff I was pouring into the reservoir, it was pretty obvious because it was all pretty foamy. So I guess my next step is getting a new pump and then trying to refill the system. Of course, the pump on the 4 cyl is 30% more than the one on the 6. :headbang:

Any tips on the replacement process? Are there any special parts I need to buy that don't come with the replacement pump? Thanks for the help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts