Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I replaced my power steering pump with a used one last year and now it too is leaking. While I can get a rebuilt pump for around 100, I see rebuild kits for around $20. Has anyone used a rebuild kit and rebuilt the pump themselves? If you have used the kit, would you do it again or just spend the money for a rebuilt pump?

·
30YRTOYOTAPARTSEXPERINCE
04 Camry; 09 Sienna
1,237 Posts
When I lived back in CA, the techs there use to rebuild these things all the time with a great deal of success. I will mention that they used an OEM kit, and none ever came back. So, IMO, as long as it is a factory pump, one can use a rebuild kit and rebuild them and save themselves quite a bit of money. If it were me, that's what I would do. But that is just me and my opinion.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gary, can you ask one of the techs if any special tools are involved? I do most of my own work, but have never done the job before and don't know what I'm getting into.

·
I wrench, therefore I am!
1,614 Posts
Only SST shown in the FSM is a generically available two arm gear/pully holder to keep from rotating when removing pully retaining nut. A screwdriver or length of pipe will probably work as well.

Reactions: fourwheeler

·
30YRTOYOTAPARTSEXPERINCE
04 Camry; 09 Sienna
1,237 Posts
Like TedL stated, only one generice SST. I sent you a link to some hopefully valuable information.

Gary, can you ask one of the techs if any special tools are involved? I do most of my own work, but have never done the job before and don't know what I'm getting into.

·
30YRTOYOTAPARTSEXPERINCE
04 Camry; 09 Sienna
1,237 Posts
One thing when doing this, as a tech pointed out to me, is to look at the shaft and make sure there isn't a grove where the seal goes. If it has been leaking for a while and dirt has gotten around it, it will wear a groove and if that is the case, it will still leak with a new seal.

·
Registered
635 Posts
One thing when doing this, as a tech pointed out to me, is to look at the shaft and make sure there isn't a grove where the seal goes. If it has been leaking for a while and dirt has gotten around it, it will wear a groove and if that is the case, it will still leak with a new seal.
It is amazing how a rubber seal can cut a groove in a hardened steel shaft even it there isn't any dirt.

·
I wrench, therefore I am!
1,614 Posts
Gary, it looks like you'd get less than $13 for that shaft...correct?

·
30YRTOYOTAPARTSEXPERINCE
04 Camry; 09 Sienna
1,237 Posts
Ted, actually $16.83 MSRP and TN members $11.78 plus shipping.

44312-06010

1 - 9 of 9 Posts