Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The PS in my 98 Avy is stiff/bumpy for only 10-15 seconds at cold startup. Im going replace the fluid with new. I just wondered if this is normal for 209k, should I be concerned since it clears up before even back out of the driveway. I tried to lubricate the knuckle in the steering shaft, hard to get to, but it dosnt feel like that is the problem.

·
You asked for it...
98 Avalon
374 Posts
My 98 Avalon doesn't do that at 220K, but then I'm in Phoenix, so it's never really very cold..

·
Registered
1999 Avalon XL
72 Posts
Wouldn't hurt to replace the fluid. I can't say if it's normal cause I blew up my PS pump a few winters ago at 180k, trying to get the rear end loose (not very successful, obviously)

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
48 Posts
Go ahead and change it. Pretty easy. A little mess under the reservoir when re-attaching the return hose.

Just move the coolant bottle out of the way, suck out the P/S fluid, then disconnect tha upper, thinner return hose.
Cap off the bottle nipple. Attach a long vinyl tube to the return hose and you'll pump old fluid into a container.

With front end on jack stands, fill the bottle and turn steering wheel side to side to pump out old fluid until it comes out red. Try not to run the car very long after the replacement fluid flees the bottle into the system. About 4-5 seconds is enough at one time while turning the steering wheel back and forth once or twice. Repeat until you're satisfied return fluid is no red and not black.

May take 2-3 sessions (after some driving) of this to get the system completely flushed so that the fluid in the bottle is red again.

This cured my '96's steering when it did your symptom after driving into downtown Manhatten and I thought the pump had gone out!

Good time to check/change belt

Oh, I also use Auto Rx treatment in my P/S, engine oil, and trans See: Bob's the Oil Guy.com)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts