Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2001 Tundra SR5 - V6. the power steering has failed. It handles like the old 1950's cars with no power steering. The power steering parts are much different than my Highlander. Any advise on replacing the power steering unit?

·
Registered
1995 T100 2WD
3,835 Posts
The pump or rack? Any hoses or seals leaking?
Rarely hear about a pump failure without a leak somewhere.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I haven't seen any leakage on the lines or hoses. The reservoir is maintaining a full level.

·
Registered
1995 T100 2WD
3,835 Posts
It could be the pump but I'm leaning towards the internal seals failing in the rack n pinion allowing PS fluid to move freely from side to side which means no PS. Vanes in pumps do fail but not often.
How many miles on the truck? Mine started to show some seepage around the boots just north of 200k, but it's still working, just added it to my to-do list.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It could be the pump but I'm leaning towards the internal seals failing in the rack n pinion allowing PS fluid to move freely from side to side which means no PS. Vanes in pumps do fail but not often.
How many miles on the truck? Mine started to show some seepage around the boots just north of 200k, but it's still working, just added it to my to-do list.
I have just over 200k. Is there a way to check the pump for broken vanes?

·
Registered
1995 T100 2WD
3,835 Posts
Only a bench test to the best of my knowledge because it most likely is still moving fluid but not with sufficient volume to create the pressure to move the R&P. If you disconnected the lines and put both ends in a container that had PS fluid in it I'm sure it would have enough power to circulate the fluid since there'd be no resistance. You might want to jack up the front end with both wheels off the ground and see how it responds to the turning of the steering. Any unusal nosies from the steering or the pump. Any sign the pump pulley is wobbling?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts