Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1992 AE100 Levin
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently removed my manual window regulator and installed the power window regulator and motor in my '92 Corolla. I ran the power wire straight to the battery with a 30A in-line fuse. I did not use a relay.

Everything seemed fine until I noticed I can operate the windows without the key in the ignition.

Will this be a source of parasitic draw on the battery or should it be fine?

·
Banned
2008 Toyota Camry Base / CE
18,382 Posts
Recently removed my manual window regulator and installed the power window regulator and motor in my '92 Corolla. I ran the power wire straight to the battery with a 30A in-line fuse. I did not use a relay.

Everything seemed fine until I noticed I can operate the windows without the key in the ignition.

Will this be a source of parasitic draw on the battery or should it be fine?
As long as you do not press the switch, you will be fine. It is "better" to use a relay if using power directly from the battery because on the switch side of the relay is your battery power and the resistor side is your signal. That signal could be from the ACC wire, dome light, anything that turns on when the key is on ACC or ON. Not using the relay and making it a simple switch is fine. I prefer a relay.

·
Administrator
マズダスピード3
16,238 Posts
It's not likely that the parasitic draw is on the power windows.

You need to check each fuse to see which circuit is not going to sleep. Use an amp clamp on the positive battery cable to see which is drawing the most current with the car awake or sleeping.

·
Banned
2008 Toyota Camry Base / CE
18,382 Posts
It's not likely that the parasitic draw is on the power windows.

You need to check each fuse to see which circuit is not going to sleep. Use an amp clamp on the positive battery cable to see which is drawing the most current with the car awake or sleeping.
From the sounds of it, the OP just utilized the simple method of wiring of Power>Fuse>Switch>Component>Ground. As long as the switch is not constantly in use while the car is off, the battery won't die. Nearly nothing about this will cause a draw.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.