Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
have a 95 tacoma sr5. power windows stopped working about 2 years ago, but the locks work fine. motors have been checked and work. 30a power fuse is getting power, but there is no hot coming into the switch. switch has also been replaced with a known working unit. the wires going from the switch to the motor have continuity. my wiring diagram states there should be a power window main relay between the 30a power fuse and the switch. i have 12v in the blue wire that supposedly goes from the fuse to the relay, but the blue/red wire that supposedly comes from the relay to a junction and then to the switch does not have 12v. i do have continuity in the blue-red wire from the junction to the switch. my problem is that the wiring diagram says that there is a main power window relay before the switch. however the service manual makes no mention of it, and the parts stores say they have no listing for it. am i correct in assuming it is a broken relay since the blue-red is not getting power? or is it some other issue. i tried to follow the wires but it quickly dissapears into a mess of loom under the dash. no mention of the relay in the engine fuse box. don't know where ito start looking. i'm lost..please help

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
so a little follow up...i went thru the drivers side switch with a multimeter and did the continuity test stated in the service manual...checks out just fine...i would post a screen shot of the wiring diagram but i can't seem to add pictures...mabye my low thread count. anyhow...at this point i have determined that:

1. fuses are intact and there is 12v coming out from the fuse box via a blue wire in back of the 30a power fuse
2. there may be a power window main relay between this blue wire from the fuse box and the blue-red that supposedly comes out to power the switch
3.i have continuity in the blue - red wire from the junction box downstream of the supposed relay to the switch (ie the wire thru the door is intact)
4. master switch has been tested and is working
5. i have continuity in the two blue wires going from the switch to the motor (ie wires are intact again)
6. motor has been tested by applying 12v and is functioning properly.

so...as far as i can tell, this phantom relay is the only thing i have not been able to check on because i have no clue where to find it and the manual makes no mention. mabye i'm overlooking something obvious..but i have been thru the system 100 times now and have literally spent the last 2 days reasearching and trying to diagnose the problem to no avail:headbang:...come on taco wizards...anybody have any bright ideas?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
^^^bump

windows are still not working. called 2 dealers and they had no answer for me either on the relay or what was wrong. anybody?

·
Registered
98 4wd Tacoma
206 Posts
Go to the scrap yard and find a truck with manual crank windows and take all the hardware. Power window gremlins can be a pain to track down, I always change mine over. That said it sounds like you may have a broken wire that only separates when the door is closed, did you check the continuity on the wires with everything closed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts