Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
camry Wookie
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm planning to install a RIPP supercharger on my 5sfe and am obviously going to need a rebuild prior as my engine has 175k miles on it. Here's where i want some input, but only from guys who have allready boosted, noone who hasn't or is still in the process unless you have definitave info about it thanks.

1. Do you think i can get away with my stock rods, or will i definately need to get a set of the pauter billet rods?

2. a while back Ross at RIPP told me i should go with the higher compression pistons with the RIPP kit so i can get more power with less boost. you guys think he's right? I've seen 10.8 and 8.8:1 comp. pistons, any thoughts on which one and why?

and i have searched, and read the sticky and haven't found too much other than the basics for a turbo set up. but if anyone can provide a link, that would help too.

Thanks in advance guys.

·
camry Wookie
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
gee, that was insightful...somehow i knew that would be the first response... and yes, they're planning to do a run of the sds this spring, or so they say... so i'm planning the prep of my motor in anticipation of this.

edit: i basically want to boost my silly little 5sfe and i've heard nothing about the trp turbo kit in months so i'm pretty much on the fence about whoever makes a kit available to me first... and to explain, the reason i want a pre engineered kit is because i don't have the time or money to go blowing up my motor trying to figure it out by myself. lame, yes, but it's what i got.

·
5S-FU
96 Toyota Camry LE
600 Posts
I have a 5S-FE too, I'm just suprised to know that the kit is coming back.

Although I don't think I'm gonna shell out 3K for a supercharger, it is pretty cool news.

If your engine has 175K on it, I would swap in a 5sfe with less mileage. And then do all the internals.

I don't think it's a good idea to use one with so many miles at the crank.

·
'99 5 Speed 1mz
183 Posts
allright, since no one else is being useful ill try to answer your questions. dont use higher compression pistons. if anything, get lower. the air from the supercharger is going to be hot as hell without an intercooler, and you definately dont want higher combustion, as you will blow ur shit up. you only want lower compression with higher amounts of boost running off the s/c, otherwise keep them stock(for like 4lbs). only reason people get higher compression pistons is normally because they are making an all motor car, like the hondas running 12:1 and so on. cant help you with the rods, id imagine at higher boost nomatter what youd want some h beams. running low boost, you could definately get more HP with higher compression, BUT you will have to have a dyno and like 8 sets of pistons all with a little different compression to see how much higher you will want to go, before conditions in the combustion chambers get too shasta mc nasty. which is why you just go lower, because more boost will make more power anyways. hope this helped you, i gotta go to work now, if anyone thinks this is bs please right my wrongs for him.

·
93 240sx SR Hatch
1999 Solara
6,575 Posts
I am in the same situation right now Gaak, only I have 166k- and you know I drop money on my car so this isnt BS. What I have done in the past couple weeks is pmed both Shook and Camrypunk for advice, as they both were running the ripp s/c. I also sent a message to Ripp mods themselves to see what they thought...

I seem to be getting the idea that people think I would be fine with a rebuild on low boost. I do not plan to run more than the stock 5.5 psi of boost because I need the reliability. I am however considering building a separate 5s from the ground up.

Shoot Shook a pm, he is extremely helpful and played with internals as well as higher boost- ran for 10k miles with no problems before he sold it.

I hope that helps, just letting you know Im in the same boat and who has helped me so far.:thumbup:

·
club momentum moves you !
06 Tacoma X-Runner
456 Posts
gaak said:
i'm planning to install a RIPP supercharger on my 5sfe and am obviously going to need a rebuild prior as my engine has 175k miles on it. Here's where i want some input, but only from guys who have allready boosted, noone who hasn't or is still in the process unless you have definitave info about it thanks.

1. Do you think i can get away with my stock rods, or will i definately need to get a set of the pauter billet rods?

2. a while back Ross at RIPP told me i should go with the higher compression pistons with the RIPP kit so i can get more power with less boost. you guys think he's right? I've seen 10.8 and 8.8:1 comp. pistons, any thoughts on which one and why?

and i have searched, and read the sticky and haven't found too much other than the basics for a turbo set up. but if anyone can provide a link, that would help too.

Thanks in advance guys.
The stock rods in the 5SFE are pretty beefy, the guys at the machine shop were pretty impressed at the stock rods and said it'll handle fine :) If i remember correctly, even the guys at Burien Toyota Performance backed up the stock rods, they make the Turbo kit for the 5SFE. I probably wouldve upgraded the rods as well if they were available at the time i was doing my build up just to have nice shiney parts :D

I went with Wiseco 8.5:1 compression pistons when i built mine up, i ordered them through RIPPMODS the sametime they were beefing their motor up, i think they were boosting 14 - 16psi when they were done ? im not sure if i remember correctly but i was running up to 13psi after the build up and it felt great ! There was lag at low end because of the lower compression and because of the way the supercharger worked (centrifical), you would probably be happier with a manual transmission if you went with low compression pistons with the kit since you can launch off boost (or work the auto transmission with a stall converter !). The car felt better at low end with the stock 9.5:1 pistons at 6 -8psi on a auto transmission.. if i could go back in time and do it over again i probably wouldve ordered stock compression pistons, take the time and wait for the rods (i love shiney new parts :lol: ) and run 13psi on that setup for great low end and even more power overall :clap:

Oh and i still see my Camry around, alot of my friends still see it around and i keep incontact with the new owner, they love it ! my friends all say it still sounds like a beast and the car is actually in better shape than when i had it. They baby the car, keep it in the garage and its all nice and polished ! i swear they must polish that thing atleast once a week. They also repainted the side mirrors and back bumper, they were pretty faded when i owned the car. They say its still running like a champ and get compliments all the time, the father says that his sons girlfriend drives a Civic but always wants to ride in the Camry haha, very good bunch of people and im so glad i was able to sell it to someone who takes even better car of the car than i did :)

·
93 240sx SR Hatch
1999 Solara
6,575 Posts
^thanks for finding the thread and giving us feedback shook :)

·
06 Tacoma X-Runner
456 Posts
dysk8forlife said:
^thanks for finding the thread and giving us feedback shook :)
haha, of course ! i still lurk the Camry section to see whats up, sometimes i miss driving my Camry.... it was truely one of a kind, especially here in Hawaii, sometimes i see 5 - 6 Xrunners in a day where youll only see 1 Built up Supercharged Camry coupe :sosad:

·
93 240sx SR Hatch
1999 Solara
6,575 Posts
still love your car bro... everyones gonna know where I got the inspiration for mine now:cool:

Ill probably be hitting you up again soon with some Ripp questions, thanks man :D

·
engineer in training
1,586 Posts
I don't quite understand what goals you have in mind here. Any idea how much power you are looking for, and what kind of power band, or are you just saying I want to put a supercharger on my Camry and hope for the best? Cause you can hope all you want but it wont be easy getting rid of a supercharged Camry when you get tired of the 190ish horsepower and no options for more power that don't put the car off the road for a while and cost an arm and a leg.

Check out the cars in my sig and ask me why I don't work on the Toyotas anymore :lol:

There is a reason there are no performance parts for Camry's out there aside from intakes. There is no power to be had without serious modification! Most cars right now come out of the factory with more power than a Camry, even with a supercharger, and they come that way stock!

·
camry Wookie
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the great info guys. i guess one concern that i have not mentioned is that i believe that the motor needs rebuilding no matter what i do, and i want something that will not ruin the power of my car if some unforseen thing occurs that prevents me from boosting. do they make forged stock compression level pistons, and if so, who and where sells them/can i get them. all i've seen is the lower ones and the higher ones...

·
06 Tacoma X-Runner
456 Posts
gaak said:
Thanks for all the great info guys. i guess one concern that i have not mentioned is that i believe that the motor needs rebuilding no matter what i do, and i want something that will not ruin the power of my car if some unforseen thing occurs that prevents me from boosting. do they make forged stock compression level pistons, and if so, who and where sells them/can i get them. all i've seen is the lower ones and the higher ones...
you should be able to custom order them, try calling Aries Piston or any of the brands that make pistons for the 5SFE and ask them about getting stock compression forged pistons, only down fall should be a wait :)

·
camry Wookie
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
that's a great idea, but won't a custom order increase the cost drastically?

edit: shook, where'd you relocate your battery to, the trunk? i notice it's not there in those sweeeeet pics...

·
engineer in training
1,586 Posts
shouldn't no, but even if its $200 more you are thinking of boosting, $200 extra should be nothing for a rebuild.

·
06 Tacoma X-Runner
456 Posts
gaak said:
that's a great idea, but won't a custom order increase the cost drastically?

edit: shook, where'd you relocate your battery to, the trunk? i notice it's not there in those sweeeeet pics...

When i was ordering my pistons for the build up i was told by a rep at Burien Toyota Performance to call Aries Piston and ask them for their 5SFE pistons, i needed 88mm which are .020 over bore and it wasnt a problem for them to make it at all :) . Although I went with Wiseco pistons, i also remember being asked what compression spec i wanted from RIPPMODS and part of the reason i went with 8.5:1 compression was because thats what RIPPMODS had already ordered, i couldve gotten stock compression but again... just had to wait a little longer :)

Yea, i relocated the battery to the trunk to make room for the intake, it made such a huge difference by moving the filter away off the blower and opening up a way for the air to come in from the lower vent in the bumper, i would highly recommend doing it if youre going with this kit :D

you can see the vent opening here

shot of the pipe

battery was relocated to the trunk on the passenger side

before and after overall shot of the engine bay

·
TN Pussy Man
Camry
13,302 Posts
part of the question as well is this....how much power are you aiming for?

and are you a 5spd or an auto? if you have an auto and don't plan on building it up, or swapping to a 5spd, then I wouldn't worry about building up the engine at all, even at 175K, presuming that your engine is in top shape and doesn't burn oil, etc.

if you're planning on going big and going the whole nine yards, then by all means build up.

otherwise, you'll blow your tranny before blowing your engine by far, since the rippmods supercharger (Stage 1 or 0, I forget) is relatively low boost and a stock engine should handle it with good fuel management- similar to the trd setup for the v6.

·
93 240sx SR Hatch
1999 Solara
6,575 Posts
stock boost on the ripp sc is 5.5 psi I believe...

Im also thinking more and more about trying this on my motor at low boost, then taking things from there. But like eye8 said, fuel management will be key.

·
Banned
4,345 Posts
Figure out what compressor they run & go from there.
Don't get sucked into the 5.5psi stigma that is associated with the 1mz-fe. This is neither the same engine, nor the same compressor. The big question is always what power do you want to make? 5s-fe rods are not very large, but they would be larger in compairison to what you would find in like a D-series Honda block. Same for the pistons. Definately better than a D-series Honda, but not the best thing to grace the inside of a Toyota block.

Soooooo what are you trying to do?

·
93 240sx SR Hatch
1999 Solara
6,575 Posts
I dont know about gaak, but I would personally be content with 180 whp ( about what they ran on stock 5.5 psi with an automatic) I wouldnt want to get too greedy with this setup, only because of the 5sfe and its boosted track record.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts