Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
1996 Camry XLE V6
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I am new to forum group so please forgive me if I have brought up something that has been bought up in the past.

I aquired a 1996 XLE V6(1MZ-FE) Camry about two years ago as my first car. Since then I have been trying to dump it and go for something else until about a week ago when I stumbled upon this forum, and be came very interested in upgrading it. In the future I am looking into installing a turbo in it. While talking to one of my friends he mentioned that it is not as simple as bolting on a turbo even it it is custom for your car and your off, some engine parts need to be changed out with some parts that can take the beating of a substantial increase in horsepower. Some of the parts he said were the camshafts, cam springs, and possibly the pistons and rods. So for starters I was going to change out all the hoses that are dry rotting for steal breaded hoses to not have that problem and change out the transmission. Other things I know I need to replace are the engine torque mount, high pressure hose to my power stearing, rear swap bar, and spark plug wires (These are all parts that worn out and near to breaking). If there is any major upgrade for these parts I would sure like to know, and also what do I need to do to prepare my engine for increasing howerpower to 400 maybe 500 horse power.

Also sorry I don't have any pictures of my car its a plain Black 96 camry with gold trim. Only picture i got of it is the left side of the back bumper where someone hit me when I was in a store and I didn't know about it until I got home...

Thanks Everyone!

· Registered
2000 Camry
258 Posts
Yeah
I think there is/was a long discussion about this set up in one of the topics in the stickied list of mods thread at the top of the forum
Give it a try and give it a search too!

· I HAS BOOST!!!
94 Camry SE V6 Coup
10,771 Posts
i got a better idea. PM tonythetiger or glitch360 and talk to them. if you find that you share their same mentality about this undertaking and understand what all ull have to do then go for it. if not, dont bother. for the money you can get alot more power out of alot more cars. a turbo camry is more a novlety then anything else. im betting after talkin to one of them ull decide to get a different car. if i were lookn for 300+ hp id look for a different car.

· Registered
1996 Camry XLE V6
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks bigbird. Unfortunatly I most likely have the same mentality about this as tony and glitch. I'm just finding that Toyota makes amazing engines. Also I understand that this is not something that I can just do after one night, hell a week. I'm just trying to take my understanding of what I need to do and expand upon it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.