Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an '02 4Runner SR5. I have been putting Pennzoil Truck and SUV synthetic blend in it from the beginning (I'm at 61,000 miles now). The engine idles a little rough now (I've had fuel injection system cleaned and replaced the air filter) and so I thought it might be something with the engine and/or oil. Does anyone have a oil suggestion? I've heard from some that pennzoil is bad.

Thanks

·
Registered
14 Posts
i don't use synthetic but i use quaker state 5W-30 and change it every 3k miles and have had no problems.

·
PowerHouse Turbo
94 Supra Turbo
67 Posts
Royal Purple 5W30 The Best oil made:)

It could be your spark plugs...or coils and wires.

Jeff
Houston,Tx.

·
Registered
84 4X4 toyota pickup
342 Posts
mobile 1(synthetic) 10-30 is one of the best for texas or anywhere. my whole family uses it or amsoil is also pretty good.:thumbup:

·
Registered
4runner
42 Posts
yeah, i heard that mobil 1 is one of the best oils to use, but i dont like mobil. i use castrol synthetic anti-sludge 10w-30

it should tell you which viscosity(i think that's the word) of oil to use, depending on your location.

·
4RunFun
91 4Runner
13 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong ( and I know you all will !) but wouldn't a rough idle point to ignition more than the condition of oil? Fuel injection was cleaned, but what about the plugs, cap, and rotor. Did the timing get checked? How about the timing belt? Is it getting worn out, causing the cams to loose position? Oh, and I almost missed it...JWatson mentioned the plug wires.

·
Registered
51 Posts
What type oil you use has nothing to do with ruff idle. Check your plugs, wires, and make sure all of your vacuum hoses are connected. I use mobil1 5000 mile oil in my 92.

·
Toyota Fanboy
4,486 Posts
I wouldnt use Pennzoil even if you payed me to use it, but I dont think the problem is oil related.
Sounds like more of an ignition or fuel issue.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts