Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just found out that my '03 front pads are about shot at 21,000 miles. Front pass. side is down to 4 mm and front drivers are down to 7 mm. This not only sounds early for pads but the uneven part seems like a problem.

The dealership today says, nope, they are within 'spec'.

Any opinoins?

btw this is a V6 SE and I drive a lot of freeway miles.

·
Registered
750 Posts
It doesn't sound right to me either. If they are quoting "specs" then it must written in their manual. Make them show you in writing. If they don't have it, then there is no such spec and they are yankin your chain. Wow, who woulda thunk a dealer would try somthin like that.:disappoin

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: chit like this really makes you wonder

pgmomni said:

was your car pulling to one side at all?

was it the right side that was more worn?

are your front tires wearing evenly?

is one of the rotors warped or discolored?

pete
Pete:

None of these problems are present which is what bothers me. The car doesn't pull, or have uneven tire wear. And the stopping power fels consistent and the same as new.

My '96 Camry had gone 100k miles when I sold it, and it had 40% original front pad left.

Even the drivers of other high end luxury cars are having premature brake wear, but those cars get new brakes under warranty.

Oh and by the way Toyota charged my $48.00 to tell me this condition is normal. Needless to say the service mgr and I had a little meeting and I told her that the charge should be waived in the least. We'll find out today.

Funny thing is that I am actually buying a '05 in the next couple of months. This situation is going to determine which brand of car it is.

·
Registered
1990 Celica GTS
2,714 Posts
Usually its stuck caliper or one of the slider on an old car. It could be just bad pad or you brake too much while turning and you turn mostly in the same direction.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The thing about this is that I own a Camry because I don't want to deal with this kind of crap. I take great care of my cars regardless of how old or what kind they are. I also am careful to conserve brakes while driving.

I don't really pay for my car as I get a company reimbursement. For that reason I keep new cars and don't want to deal with repairs.

And you're right Pineapple I do tend to turn to the right quite a bit.;)

·
OLD TN dude
62 Posts
I traded an '02 Tundra w/only 6500 miles in on a Camry because of not only problems ie; Elect. Warped rotors, cracked manifold, O2 sensor, Trannie slips........But the fact that Toyota was only goin' to "resurface the rotors, watch the manifold, monitor trannie slippage...." BS!!! I paid 26K for a NEW truck! pgmomni is correct about the service at Toyota. I had an '82 pick up (Back in the day)that was left filthy after an oil change....long story short: I had the truck completely detailed for free, and they gave me free oil changes for the rest of my ownership!!! WHAT THE HECK IS TOYOTA DOING????:disappoin

MCTOY

·
Banning is an art.
1992 Camry V6 LE
3,269 Posts
Re: yeah, i hear you,

pgmomni said:

tell em' straight out, change these under warranty and refund my $48 or im walking to Honda dealer.
Well definitely don't buy an Accord because of this brake pad issue...cuz apparently they're wearing out totally at 22K KMs! Sometimes even the rotor too! Some guys have even changed their pads twice at 60K. (Some dealers have changed the rotors under warranty but not the pads....)

It seems like the automakers are putting on more aggressive pads than normal...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Switching brands can lead to more of the same problem. However, how another manufacturerer addresses the issue can be the difference. I sold my 2002 Maxima to get this car because the Max had a lot of small nagging quality issues. Nissan, to their credit, went out of their way to try to fix the problems.

Right now 255 hp sounds pretty good right about now..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts