Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, so my Corolla hatch is having some head unit issues.

I updated the firmware from the Toyota owners site to version 1013 (I'm assuming its version 1013 because of the file name). All went well and things seemed to be okay. A few weeks passed and there was a message on my head unit saying there was an update available. So naturally I decided to let it do its update. Ever since I installed that "new" update, DCM/remote connected services are no longer working. All I get is an error message whenever I try to check for updates in the menu settings. It says "Preparing for communication. Please try again". This is the only way that I can find to get this message. You can also see on the screen that DCM is grayed out (meaning offline/not available).

But that's not all, I just noticed today that I no longer have sound coming out of the right front passenger speaker(s). No matter the source (XM, FM, Apple carplay, etc). I can tune it all the way to the right front side and crank it to max volume and its dead silent. I didn't notice this before until today when a passenger in my car said the sound seemed off.

I tried reinstalling the 1013 update but it wont let me get past the "Preparing for communication. Please try again" screen.

So I plan to make an appointment with my dealer to see whats next. But in the meantime I want to bounce some questions off of everyone.

1. is it possible that the speakers/wiring is just fine and the firmware is causing the speaker dead zone?
  2. is there anyway to reinstall the firmware? or a way to downgrade the firmware?
  3. is there a way to hard reset the entire head unit to factory defaults?
  4. should I disconnect the battery and let the vehicle sit for a while to see what happens?
  5. has anyone else had these kinds of issues?
I am probably getting ahead of myself here and should just let Toyota deal with it, but this is super frustrating. If there's an easy fix then I'm all ears.

In the meantime I guess I have a car that I can't remote start and the audio is dead for my passengers.

·
Registered
2019 Corolla Hatchback SE - CVT
155 Posts
You installed the wrong firmware for your head unit most likely. You can fix it by installing the correct stuff, but thank the universe that you didnt brick it.

·
Registered
155 Posts
If you Hold down Menu and scroll the headlights from Off to all the way on 3 times, you can access the diagnosis menu and check to see if there's any codes from the DCM

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the response. How would I go about finding/installing the correct firmware? I tried reinstalling the 1013 firmware and it wont let me get past the "preparing for communication" message. I downloaded the only firmware available from Toyota's website, which is 1013. Also, I might be missing something from you're instructions regarding the hold menu and turn off and on the headlights, because nothing ever happened. No diagnosis menu ever came up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In case it matters I downloaded the firmware from this site:
HTML:
https://securedp.toyota.com/download-app/getUpdates

·
Registered
155 Posts
Thanks for the response. How would I go about finding/installing the correct firmware? I tried reinstalling the 1013 firmware and it wont let me get past the "preparing for communication" message. I downloaded the only firmware available from Toyota's website, which is 1013. Also, I might be missing something from you're instructions regarding the hold menu and turn off and on the headlights, because nothing ever happened. No diagnosis menu ever came up.
You have to put it on a USB stick and it has to be the right version. They're all version 1013 but there's a 3 Choices of what radio you have that makes the difference of the DCM you have.

Also to turn on the Diagnostics menu, the car has to be running, and it has to be from off all the way to On, that includes passing through auto and DRL. It won't turn on if you do it too slow or too fast.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts