Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Since I didn't see any a review or install info on here before I purchased it, I was a little nervous about buying it. So I figured I add a review and install info with pictures. (Now I need to hit them up to see if they will refund me a discount for posting this! lol)

I got in the Prestigious NAV/DVD bypass on Saturday. We LOVE it and definitely are happy with it. I would recommend it for those that don't like not having the full functionality of the NAV while driving, as well as being able to watch DVD's up front, while having the touchscreen fuctionality to be able to view the different options on the newer video's, such as playing the extended scene's or whatever needs a physical input that the remote doesn't let you do when you view it on the rear monitor.
Installation took around 45 minutes like the directions said. The directions were easy to follow, as well as thorough. All you really needed for install was a flat head screw driver to deal with some of the clips, and a 10mm socket with extension.

Cost $300 -
Functionality - 9/10.

The only thing that we thought would be nice is if you were able to watch a movie up front while also being able to use the GPS/Navigation system. Although you can do this by entering in the location, finding out where you need to go, then switch back to the DVD. You would then have to switch back to the GPS and hit last location to get the NAV reset to update the direction info. Not really realistic for short trips, although for long trips it wouldn't be too big of a deal.

Overall we are EXTREMELY happy with the functionality and ease of installation. I was a little skeptacle since I didn't see any info or reviews on this unit from anyone that has one. We were pleasantly surprised with it, and would definitely recommend it. It is also easy enough to install that I would rate it a 2/10 on difficulty for those that aren't too mechanically inclined.

Here are some pictures to show what the disassembly and install looked like.

All the clipped in panels taken off (The shifter unscrews) -

Back of the NAV unit (The bypass unit plugs in "series" with the current harness) -

Bypass unit (for size purposes, on the website it looked a lot bigger) -

Bypass unit installed on top of the NAV/DVD -

Watching the movie while driving (The touchscreen works to hit "main menu or fastplay - I hadn't thought about that or expected it, so that was a nice addition to the functionality and advantage I hadn't thought about -

Bypass input buttons location. Nice and clean install since I could route the wire through the hood release. It was really easy to route the wire to the left of the shifter and then pull it behind the steering wheel knee panel, it took all of 30 seconds which was nice -

·
Registered
66 Posts
Since I know nothing about how this kit works, what are the bypass buttons for? Do you have to hit a button to "trick" the system, then hit a button again afterwards to "untrick" the system? Why can't you just leave the system in the "tricked" state?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There are two buttons, one says NAVI, one says TV. Pressing one of them allows you to bypass for 5 minutes and either watch a movie or use the nav bypass. I'm assuming, but still unsure and am going to call today to find out, that by doing the manual bypass that makes it stay in that mode, makes the other mode unavailable.

I'm not 100% sure, and planned on calling Prestigious when I got a chance to find out the disadvantages or advantages of using the buttons for the 5min lockout, and leaving it in manual bypass mode (constant bypass until you take it out of that mode).

·
Registered
66 Posts
I've looked into doing this on my '07 FX35. No need to buy a $300 unit - you just have to install a switch in the line that tells that navigation system that you're moving. The reason that you can't leave the wire "disconnected" is that if the system doesn't think that you are moving, it doesn't try to track you - so you have to flip the switch, do whatever you need to do, then flip the switch back and the GPS will start tracking you again.

The Sienna may be similar - have you noticed if the map is still "moving" when it is in bypass mode?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've looked into doing this on my '07 FX35. No need to buy a $300 unit - you just have to install a switch in the line that tells that navigation system that you're moving. The reason that you can't leave the wire "disconnected" is that if the system doesn't think that you are moving, it doesn't try to track you - so you have to flip the switch, do whatever you need to do, then flip the switch back and the GPS will start tracking you again.

The Sienna may be similar - have you noticed if the map is still "moving" when it is in bypass mode?
This very may well be possible. Although I would venture to say if that was the case, you would find information all over the net on how to do it, and threads showing what wires to do it from.
That is possible on older units, since I switched a jumper pin on my Pioneer double din and it worked.
I'm sure if that was the case, the would be no reason a company would create a $300 module that is just a switch. Especially with all the extra wiring and interfaces that they had to add.
Just my opinion.

On to the functionality. I just got off the phone with Mark at Prestigious. He was really helpful in explaining the operation and why you can't watch a movie and use the nav at the same time. Toyota built in two "walls", hence you have to push the navi button which bypasses the nav, and then push the TV button to bypass that, to be able to watch the DVD while in motion. 09' and older only have one "wall", which is why you can watch a movie while still using the Nav feature.

They recommend keeping it in "manual bypass mode" which all it does is remove the 5 minute time limit. So once it is in manual mode, if you want to input an address or use other functions of the nav that aren't typically available, you depress the navi button and it will stay in bypass mode indefinitely allowing full functionality of the NAVI, although not with tracking. To get it back to tracking and regular operation so you can use the GPS to direct your route, you depress the Navi button again and it will follow the new route and refresh your location.
The manual bypass mode also allows you to watch a movie uninterupted by the time limit. To watch a movie, you press both the Navi and TV buttons (the two wall issue). When you want to go back to GPS tracking, you depress both buttons again and it will start tracking and use the GPS again.

So it looks like I'll keep it in the manual bypass mode to remove the 5min. time limit. They put both options there for the person that wants an option of being able to have it automatically go back to "Factory" operation after 5 min. and for those that would rather be able to manually decide when to turn it on and off via the buttons.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Sorry, I wasn't very clear - I assumed that with the Sienna it wasn't just a matter of switching a wire. By "similar," I meant that when it is bypassed, it is no longer tracking you - which sounds like it is the case.

I probably will end up buying one of these units, I just have to get over the whole, "paying $300 to make my $2000 navigation system work the way that I want it to" thing.

In the pic you mounted the unit to the top of the head unit - I was surprised that there was enough clearance to fit the head unit back in - that was one of my concerns (where the heck to put the thing), but I'm glad that it appears to be a nonissue.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, if it was as simple as switching a wire, I'm sure that info would be all over the net.

From talking to Mark at Prestigious, it sounds like Toyota made it more difficult to bypass, which includes turning off the GPS tracking when you input destinations. That is why you aren't able to watch a movie while still using the GPS.

When it is in bypass mode, you are able to use all of the functions of the NAV and DVD, although GPS tracking is turned off. That is the reason for the external control buttons, so you are able to switch back and forth between bypassing and normal operation.

It was nice to find out from Mark that the only function of manual mode is to remove the 5 minute timer. So there is really no reason I can of see of not programming it to stay in that mode.

I agree, Toyota should have used the passenger seatbelt indicator or seat warmer (it goes off of weight I think) to allow Navigation input while driving.

I am also pretty frugal, so I was pretty unhappy about having to buy an external module to add to my $45k mini-van to get it to function the way I wanted it to. That is until I actually had it and saw the additional functionality it added and how smooth it was, especialy with install. They really did a good job of making it very simple and clean looking. Plus, everything is wired in series with the same plugs that Toyota uses. So if for some reason you were worried about taking it in for warantee stuff, you just unplug it and it is back to normal.

I REALLY lke the ability to watch movies up front. Not necessarily for the driver, although it is nice to be able to check out the movie when your at a stop light or stuck in traffic (one of the REAL benefits), but mainly for the passenger since my daughter is too young to wear the headset and we are listening to what she is watching but can't see it.
Now we'll be able to rent redbox movies on long trips and enjoy a little entertainment upfront. I was also pleasantly surprised with the quality of the display.

Reactions: jp_over

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
BTW - They offer a 10% military discount. They just refunded me $29.95, which was pretty cool. Especialy since I already paid for it and they could have said, "Sorry, we can't do adjustments after you mdae the purchase".

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi,
since yesterday i'm an owner of a 2012 Sienna Ltd (with rear seat enterntainment and navigation system).
Now i want to watch DVDs on the front-screen. Do i need the "Prestigious NAV/DVD bypass"-module also, if i want to watch it in parking-position? If i put in a DVD i see it on the rear-monitor, but on the navi-screen i only see this, but no movie:

Can someone tell me, if this is normal behavior?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi,
since yesterday i'm an owner of a 2012 Sienna Ltd (with rear seat enterntainment and navigation system).
Now i want to watch DVDs on the front-screen. Do i need the "Prestigious NAV/DVD bypass"-module also, if i want to watch it in parking-position? If i put in a DVD i see it on the rear-monitor, but on the navi-screen i only see this, but no movie:

Can someone tell me, if this is normal behavior?
Congrats on your new car~ In order to have the video on the nav screen, you will need to stop the car and with parking brake engaged. The screen you are seeing now probably because you did not engage the parking brake. With the Prestigious Society NAV/DVD bypass, you will be able to have video in motion. I just installed their bypass on my vehicle works great!

·
Registered
15 Posts
ah, cool, thx a lot, now it works ! :D

I'm not familiar with the foot-parking-brake and seldomly use it ... it's my first automatic car.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts