Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Undercarriage is not currently notably rusty.

BUT I’m doing a lot of winter driving in Ohio this year, and I see horribly rusted cars up here! The roads are constantly super salty. I can hear it getting all up in my car’s business and it makes me cringe.

I’m scared. We love our trusty little Yaris!

But I’m getting paid mileage reimbursement, which is sweet. Therefore, I’m willing to put some money into rust prevention/undercoating/etc.

What can be done for say $200? $500? $700? (Willing to hire somebody)

·
Registered
08 Toyota Camry 2AZ-FE R9K Tuned
9,082 Posts
There are undercoating solutions, how well is the rest of the car? Otherwise all I do is a car wash (with underbody wash) after every blizzard on a "not-that-below-freezing" day so like in the 20s F. My 2008 Camry in comparison to the other 2008-era cars around me (Wisconsin) looks pretty dang rust free as long as you ignore the touch-up paint covering all the scratches. Underbody wise, I would rate it as satisfactory.

·
Registered
124 Posts
He's on to something there. Washing seems to be the number one best possible option.

I have a buddy who created his own DIY drive-over under body car wash. Upon arriving home he'll fire it up, drive over it slowly down one side, then back over it slowly down the other side.

Then again, he also has the time, money, space, and elbow grease necessary to rig up such a contraption.

The problem with aftermarket coatings is one spot will invariably be weaker than the rest, and it's only a matter of time before a rock chip starts allowing moisture to spread under the coating, accelerating the formation of new rust as the coating keeps things from drying completely. There are multiple videos around of people peeling away old coating, taking scaly metal with it several inches in every direction. Moisture from inside the car from melted snow can have a potentially similar effect.

After losing a vehicle which had been given a very high dollar underbody treatment, he decided to start rigorously washing their vehicles after every exposure to snow. Didn't take him too long before he decided to semi-automate the process. His rust progression over the past decade has been minimal at worst... dramatically better than similar years/makes around him.

Anyway, this may not help much, but consider it a second vote for the power of simply washing away the salty muck.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Newer cars benefit from much better paints and primers. The primers especially will hold up against weather for a lot longer than the old primers that rust would take over in weeks if left outside. Rust preventive coatings like ziebart and other names require a a lot of holes in your car and they need to be done before the car is subjected to road salt. Not a fan of holes drilled in my car.

I think "keep it clean" is the best preventative and a pressure washer is best, but it must be used properly, or just get an electric one without pressure above 2000 PSI.

If not available then a hose will do the job. it also helps if you can get the car up in the air to better access crevices.

If using either pressure washer of hose, focus on the areas behind the wheels where the accumulation is greatest. My garden hose connects inside the garage so I never have to worry about it being frozen, keeping the hose in the garage. That way I can rinse it off as soon as I get home, regardless of the outside temperature, BUT WATCH OUT FOR YOUR SELF MADE SKATING RINK WHEN THE SPRAY FLASH FREEZES ON YOUR DRIVEWAY, LOL.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts