Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Tacoma 2017 Corolla
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We'll be purchasing two new Toyota vehicles soon, the first being a 2019 RAV4 Hybrid. We've used the same dealer for many years and trust them on pricing, for the most part, but would like to know if we have any additional negotiating power. The sticker price on this vehicle is $30,232. The supposed dealer cost is $28,757 and the also supposed Dealer Holdback is $661. Since the 2020s are arriving soon I guess there may be some incentives available as well. For those who have recently purchased this vehicle or otherwise have some insight on what price we should pay I'd greatly appreciate your comments. I'm not looking to sap every penny out of the deal profits, just pay a fair price.

·
Registered
20 Posts
We'll be purchasing two new Toyota vehicles soon, the first being a 2019 RAV4 Hybrid. We've used the same dealer for many years and trust them on pricing, for the most part, but would like to know if we have any additional negotiating power. The sticker price on this vehicle is $30,232. The supposed dealer cost is $28,757 and the also supposed Dealer Holdback is $661. Since the 2020s are arriving soon I guess there may be some incentives available as well. For those who have recently purchased this vehicle or otherwise have some insight on what price we should pay I'd greatly appreciate your comments. I'm not looking to sap every penny out of the deal profits, just pay a fair price.
I paid 35,000 for my new 19 rav4 hybrid xse and love my car. In ks city you cant find them now, I got mine right off the truck. I have filled it with gas once. I am having extras put on it and changing all the lights to be brighter. Love my car.

·
Registered
14 Posts
You might be able to save more money by skipping the hybrid and buying the gas model. Depending on how long you plan to keep it, you could end up paying a few thousand more for the hybrid.

If you’re like most people and keep it around 6 years, you won’t recoup the extra you pay for the hybrid. If you keep it longer, like 8-10 years (80k-100k miles), you’ll eventually save enough on gas to break-even with the extra you paid.

Resale value for hybrids is about the same for gas models so you won’t get anything more when it comes time to resell or trade-in.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Skip the Hybrid as it will be expensive to repair. Never pay more than dealer cost and anything under is bonus.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Could we make this generic topic for all Rav4 price negotiations?
I'm helping daughter on a 2019 Rav4 LE purchase. Price is her main consideration, so bare bones LE AWD only. She qualifies for new grad rebate, and in her area the standard Rav4 rebate is $1250. I told her to also confirm that triathlon rebate, which will shave off another $450 ($500 - $50 to join the triathlon org)...
Dealers aren't budging much below $25k (typically $24.4-6 with the standard 400-600 "doc fee"). If this is truly the bottom line, ok, but I'm wondering/hoping they will loosen up close to the end of the month or year, especially on 2019s. With the 2020s in, curious there aren't more dealer incentives going on.
Appreciate your thoughts

·
Registered
204 Posts
I'm helping daughter on a 2019 Rav4 LE purchase. Price is her main consideration, so bare bones LE AWD only. She qualifies for new grad rebate, and in her area the standard Rav4 rebate is $1250. I told her to also confirm that triathlon rebate, which will shave off another $450 ($500 - $50 to join the triathlon org)...
Dealers aren't budging much below $25k (typically $24.4-6 with the standard 400-600 "doc fee"). If this is truly the bottom line, ok, but I'm wondering/hoping they will loosen up close to the end of the month or year, especially on 2019s. With the 2020s in, curious there aren't more dealer incentives going on.
Appreciate your thoughts
Standard 400-600 "doc fee" should not be this high and this is how finance ripped you off.
Doc Fee and TTL are totally different and hope you are not putting everything together.
SUV are higher in demand.
Take a look at trucar.com or if you have Costco membership, then try that route for comparison. This way you know what others have paided.
Best time is end of year and better time is end of month. Keep in mind rebate may not be available.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Agree on truecar and similar services. I recently purchased a Highlander and had a great experience using truecar.com. My daughter is doing the same, just not seeing the relative discount that the dealers start with the Rav as compared to my Highlander purchase.
With my research, most dealer's initial offer on the HL was around 15% off MSRP. With the Rav, it's about 10%. This is without factoring rebates, etc. I (and she) were hoping for something close to 15% given my experience. My question to y'all is what have recent buyers found with the Rav, especially the LE AWD.

·
Registered
2013 Tacoma 2017 Corolla
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Standard 400-600 "doc fee" should not be this high and this is how finance ripped you off.
Doc Fee and TTL are totally different and hope you are not putting everything together.
SUV are higher in demand.
Take a look at trucar.com or if you have Costco membership, then try that route for comparison. This way you know what others have paided.
Best time is end of year and better time is end of month. Keep in mind rebate may not be available.
I took a look at trucar.com. It shows average purchase price for the 2019 RAV4 Hybrid at about $4,000 under MSRP, bringing a $30,000 vehicle down to $26,000. This would result in the price being underneath the "supposed" dealer cost by about $2,000. What am I missing?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I took a look at trucar.com. It shows average purchase price for the 2019 RAV4 Hybrid at about $4,000 under MSRP, bringing a $30,000 vehicle down to $26,000. This would result in the price being underneath the "supposed" dealer cost by about $2,000. What am I missing?
I don't think you're missing anything other than precision on what dealer cost actually is. My assumption is that dealer incentives/rebates/etc effectively lower the dealer cost, thus still giving the dealer some profit on what otherwise looks like sale under what the dealer paid.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Example for Southern California and may vary by locations.
2019 Toyota RAV4 Hybrid LE AWD
$26,180 Dealer Cost
$1,060 Destination charge
$27,240 Total Price
No options included but most will have factory installed options which will increase Total price.

$2500 Customer Cash

Price after rebate $24,740 before TTL, etc...

The difference is the rebate from Toyota.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Example for Southern California and may vary by locations.
2019 Toyota RAV4 Hybrid LE AWD
$26,180 Dealer Cost
$1,060 Destination charge
$27,240 Total Price
No options included but most will have factory installed options which will increase Total price.

$2500 Customer Cash

Price after rebate $24,740 before TTL, etc...

The difference is the rebate from Toyota.
We just bought Camry in Sep. Granted the Camry is not as popular or high demand as SUVs.
Family has connection on LA what gives us OTD (Out The Door) pricing $23,000 and used that as starting point.

2019 Toyota Camry LE Automatic
Rear Bumper Applique (Clear)
Mudguards
Door Edge Guards
All-Weather Floor Liner Package
Destination charge

MSRP: 24,600
TOTAL: 26,131 (WITH OPTONS AND DESTINATION CHARGE)

INVOICE: 22,509
TOTAL: 23,813 (WITH OPTONS AND DESTINATION CHARGE)

CASH PRICE: 22,422 (1,391 BELOW TOTAL INVOICE)

OUT THE DOOR PRICE: 22,600 (CASH PRICE - $2000 REBATE + TTL)

Wife wanted to offer $22,000 OTD but I was afraid of getting shot. $22,4000 was declined.
Walked away after offering $22,600, waited in car at parking lot and sales ran out in about 10m.

We bought car on Sep 19 and rebate ends Sep 30.

It comes down to who wants it more.
I know you are not looking for Camry but just numbers for comparison difference from MSRP and price paid.

My wife is the best haggler in the world that she actually scares me as we where yelled at to leave some business as we low ball them all.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Appreciate your thoughts
Is the car need to be registered and titled under her name in order for you to get the new graduate rebate of $500?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Is the car need to be registered and titled under her name in order for you to get the new graduate rebate of $500?
Correct. I'm just helping her research having just done this. Around here the new grad rebate is $1000. All told the available rebates add up to $2700.

·
Registered
7 Posts
How much are the 2020 or 2019 RAV4 limiteds going for? I'm being quoted $34,981 with 2 packages(Advanced Tech and Weather package). This is getting pricey.

Thanks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
How much are the 2020 or 2019 RAV4 limiteds going for? I'm being quoted $34,981 with 2 packages(Advanced Tech and Weather package). This is getting pricey.

Thanks.
In my limited experience researching a new car purchase, truecar's market price estimate seemed to be fairly accurate. I'm sure its accuracy varies directly with the volume of purchase data for each particular model, but since the Rav is a popular seller, you might find their numbers useful.

·
Registered
204 Posts

Thanks.
2019 Toyota Prices: MSRP vs Factory Invoice vs True Dealer Cost w/Holdback

Now, I am not able to access dealer's cost for packages and add ons. See if you can get discount 15%+ from add-on and packages.

·
Registered
204 Posts
In my limited experience researching a new car purchase, truecar's market price estimate seemed to be fairly accurate. I'm sure its accuracy varies directly with the volume of purchase data for each particular model, but since the Rav is a popular seller, you might find their numbers useful.
So true as supply and demand will change with locality and rebates.
Use the numbers as baseline but it's no guaranteed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2019 RAV4 XLE PREM AWD SUV : Total MSRP*: $35,783.00

Optional Equipment
50 State Emissions $0.00
Entune(TM) 3.0 Audio Plus and JBL with Clari-Fi(tm) $1,620.00
XLE Premium Grade Weather Package: $1,075.00
XLE PREMIUM PACKAGE $0.00
All Weather Floor Liners and Cargo Liner $269.00
Door Edge Guard $140.00
Mudguard $129.00
Roof Rack Cross Bars $315.00
Wheel Lock $65.00
Total Optional Equipment $3,613.00
Vehicle Base Model $31,050.00
Delivery Processing and Handling $1,120.00
Total MSRP* $35,783.00

MSRP: $35,783
Savings: $5,917
Best Price: $29,866

OTD Price: $29,866 +sales tax+ registration + $499 doc fee

Is this good deal in state Rhode Island? I have offered best price $29000 but decline by dealer.

Seniors, please guide, thanks

·
Registered
204 Posts
2019 RAV4 XLE PREM AWD SUV : Total MSRP*: $35,783.00

Optional Equipment
50 State Emissions $0.00
Entune(TM) 3.0 Audio Plus and JBL with Clari-Fi(tm) $1,620.00
XLE Premium Grade Weather Package: $1,075.00
XLE PREMIUM PACKAGE $0.00
All Weather Floor Liners and Cargo Liner $269.00
Door Edge Guard $140.00
Mudguard $129.00
Roof Rack Cross Bars $315.00
Wheel Lock $65.00
Total Optional Equipment $3,613.00
Vehicle Base Model $31,050.00
Delivery Processing and Handling $1,120.00
Total MSRP* $35,783.00

MSRP: $35,783
Savings: $5,917
Best Price: $29,866

OTD Price: $29,866 +sales tax+ registration + $499 doc fee

Is this good deal in state Rhode Island? I have offered best price $29000 but decline by dealer.

Seniors, please guide, thanks
OTD Price: $29,866 that is the final price you paid with everything included and nothing a penny more.
$499 doc fee - this is where they are raping you back. Doc fee should be more more than $80.
WTH are they doing to be worth $499 - even if they are going under the table, not worth it (dirty old man am I)

·
Registered
8 Posts
The fact that they turned down $29k flat tells you you're probably close. If you're comfortable with $29.5 (out the door, no doc fee upcharge BS), then give that a go. Personally I'd go for a lesser equip'd Rav but that's a personal choice...
Also check out the "USA Triathlon" rebate, which is $500. All you need to do is join that org (and get your ID) which costs $50, before you buy the vehicle. If your dealer is honoring that, there's another $450 off your net cost.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts