Toyota Nation Forum banner

2621 - 2640 of 2756 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am looking to purchase a 2019 Highlander SE AWD. Called a few dealers in my area (Philadelphia) and best offer I am getting is 11% off MSRP plus rebate. Wondering if this is because there is limited inventory of SE or dealers are waiting for me to come in before playing ball. Hoping to get 15%+ rebate, like many on this forum. Told them I am ready to buy in 1-2 days. Any thoughts?
Make a trip down to Northern VA. Koons Tysons has SE for 34981 plus ttl. Can send you my contact's email and see if he can go any lower..

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just bought this week in MD:

2019 XLE AWD
MSRP: $43k
Purchase Price (includes $3000 rebate...before taxes and fees): $34k (20% discount)

One thing I will note - check the doc fees! I live near DC so could pick either VA or MD. VA dealerships had doc fees of $700-$900. MD dealerships were all at $300 (maybe max required by law, not sure). So, VA dealerships were about 1% of MSRP behind right off the bat. One VA dealership actually gave me a better deal on the XLE, but couldn't overcome the difference in doc fee.

Thanks to everyone on this site. In my area at least, 20% was the max...had two dealerships get there and stop. A few other dealerships bowed out at the 18% range.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Just got a Highlander SE
Any recent deals for Highlander SE?
About 13% discount off MSRP. Before $3000 rebate!

I always negotiate to "Out the door price, with my trade in". I have my prices written down, and do the I knew what Carvana would give for my trade-in. So local dealer giving that price meant I saved another $800 in Texas Sales Tax. So I did the research, took my best offer and tossed in the trade (no hassle).

We have a small market in Austin, TX so I do politely let the dealers know I am ready to buy today. If price can be met, great if not I'll be back in a week as I travel to Houston and Dallas on business. My last Ford was bought in Kansas City, MO.

The MSRP on the Highlander is $40,640. Delivery is 1,095 (seems to vary per region). So $41,735 for base. This is from my window sticker, seems the car came into inventory but was sitting the back lot for a while. The irony is when I walked in to buy it their quick reference app said they had two. I walked the Salesmen over to to the car, as he said he only had a White and Black one in stock. They really want to move old inventory (LPT: Batteries will need replacement sooner than new ones, but at 43 miles it was a new vehicle).

The window invoice will show $43,395 as it has a $1660 of items added on. Rear Cargo Cover, Stainless Steel Running Boards, Cargo Net, Paint and Interior Sealant ($349, cough) I never saw any SE at the base, all of them a host of options added.

Highlander SE Inventory is dwindling down. They had three in stock. White, Silver, Black. I really like the Silver vehicle as black bakes in the Texas sun. White just gets too dirty too fast.

I tried to get them to toss in the remote start feature (not software, but hardware needs to be added. Aftermarket about $250). No, go on that, so I said "fine" and politely walked out. The sales guy did call back later to apologize but said they wanted $800 installed for a remote starter. They could do it for $600, but no less. You can buy them for $250 and takes 10 minutes to install, so I'll add it later. Went back two hours later, signed paperwork and left with my new Highlander.

$3000 rebate or 60-month Interest-Free Finance? About 4% interest you are better off with the $3000 discount. Toyota Interest came back at 4.8% on the loan.

To "soften you up" you first meet with an "option person" who sets up the first service, gets your name written down and has the "rubber floor mats" and few other things they can apply. Well, resist! It's to get you to accept "oh $99 mud floor mats" let's do it. Little things, but they show the pricing per month. :)

Then the finance/closer job is to get you to add additional warranty items. Keep in mind you bought a Toyota for reliability! All Emission equipment is 100,000 miles (EPA), so it's the extra electronics. I kept saying "decline, let's keep to the Out The Door pricing. Keep in mind you buy a new car every few years, the dealer does this 40 times a day and has it polished to a fine edge. Having an out the door price helps!

I'm very happy with the deal I got. Yes, I'm a grumpy old man. Fascial Muscles don't work, so no smile or emotion. It makes it very hard for Sales People to "read my expression". Just life, but boy it comes in handy when car shopping.

tl;dr: Be reasonable. Have an "out the door price" and stick with it. At closing is all the "optional warranty items" the idea is to confuse you, so do research ahead of time.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Just got a Highlander SE

About 13% discount off MSRP. Before $3000 rebate!

I always negotiate to "Out the door price, with my trade in". I have my prices written down, and do the I knew what Carvana would give for my trade-in. So local dealer giving that price meant I saved another $800 in Texas Sales Tax. So I did the research, took my best offer and tossed in the trade (no hassle).

We have a small market in Austin, TX so I do politely let the dealers know I am ready to buy today. If price can be met, great if not I'll be back in a week as I travel to Houston and Dallas on business. My last Ford was bought in Kansas City, MO.

The MSRP on the Highlander is $40,640. Delivery is 1,095 (seems to vary per region). So $41,735 for base. This is from my window sticker, seems the car came into inventory but was sitting the back lot for a while. The irony is when I walked in to buy it their quick reference app said they had two. I walked the Salesmen over to to the car, as he said he only had a White and Black one in stock. They really want to move old inventory (LPT: Batteries will need replacement sooner than new ones, but at 43 miles it was a new vehicle).

The window invoice will show $43,395 as it has a $1660 of items added on. Rear Cargo Cover, Stainless Steel Running Boards, Cargo Net, Paint and Interior Sealant ($349, cough) I never saw any SE at the base, all of them a host of options added.

Highlander SE Inventory is dwindling down. They had three in stock. White, Silver, Black. I really like the Silver vehicle as black bakes in the Texas sun. White just gets too dirty too fast.

I tried to get them to toss in the remote start feature (not software, but hardware needs to be added. Aftermarket about $250). No, go on that, so I said "fine" and politely walked out. The sales guy did call back later to apologize but said they wanted $800 installed for a remote starter. They could do it for $600, but no less. You can buy them for $250 and takes 10 minutes to install, so I'll add it later. Went back two hours later, signed paperwork and left with my new Highlander.

$3000 rebate or 60-month Interest-Free Finance? About 4% interest you are better off with the $3000 discount. Toyota Interest came back at 4.8% on the loan.

To "soften you up" you first meet with an "option person" who sets up the first service, gets your name written down and has the "rubber floor mats" and few other things they can apply. Well, resist! It's to get you to accept "oh $99 mud floor mats" let's do it. Little things, but they show the pricing per month. :)

Then the finance/closer job is to get you to add additional warranty items. Keep in mind you bought a Toyota for reliability! All Emission equipment is 100,000 miles (EPA), so it's the extra electronics. I kept saying "decline, let's keep to the Out The Door pricing. Keep in mind you buy a new car every few years, the dealer does this 40 times a day and has it polished to a fine edge. Having an out the door price helps!

I'm very happy with the deal I got. Yes, I'm a grumpy old man. Fascial Muscles don't work, so no smile or emotion. It makes it very hard for Sales People to "read my expression". Just life, but boy it comes in handy when car shopping.

tl;dr: Be reasonable. Have an "out the door price" and stick with it. At closing is all the "optional warranty items" the idea is to confuse you, so do research ahead of time.
FJ60 Guy,
I appreciate the detailed reply. I am a long time Toyota owner ( a 2005 Toyota Sequoia 135,000
I moved from Austin, TX to Colorado ( work relo)
We have an SE available at a local dealer here in CO ( Salsa Red Pearl) the MSRP with add ons shows 42,403.00 ( Tow hitch and body side molding)
there is 1095.00 in delivery, processing and handling fees- hoping to knock this down as well

The only thing we will want to have added at this time would be the roof rails & clear bra on the hood. I am going to do my best to get this with add-ons for 38,000. OTD ( after taxes)
based on your response i shouldn't have too much trouble with that.
We have a trade in that may be worth 500-1000.00 private party so we are not even considering that in our deal.

My OTD price is around 38,000 with roof rails, tow hitch all weather liners and clear bra

We go to pick it up this weekend IF we agree on the deal.

I will post here with results.

·
Registered
19 Posts

FJ60 Guy,
I appreciate the detailed reply. I am a long time Toyota owner ( a 2005 Toyota Sequoia 135,000
I moved from Austin, TX to Colorado ( work relo)
We have an SE available at a local dealer here in CO ( Salsa Red Pearl) the MSRP with add ons shows 42,403.00 ( Tow hitch and body side molding)
there is 1095.00 in delivery, processing and handling fees- hoping to knock this down as well

The only thing we will want to have added at this time would be the roof rails & clear bra on the hood. I am going to do my best to get this with add-ons for 38,000. OTD ( after taxes)
based on your response i shouldn't have too much trouble with that.
We have a trade in that may be worth 500-1000.00 private party so we are not even considering that in our deal.

My OTD price is around 38,000 with roof rails, tow hitch all weather liners and clear bra

We go to pick it up this weekend IF we agree on the deal.

I will post here with results.
Happy Car Shopping.

The dealers don't make their money on the car, but get you with the "closing deals". Yes, I opted for the rubber floor mats but otherwise was "decline, decline, decline" I had to laugh about "rim insurance" for $650. You can get a decent set of four rims for $800 if you need them (discount tire). Toyota OEM is $500/rim but given no potholes in Texas, I'll pass. NY, probably a great deal but you need snow and summer tires up there.

I was the edge of the 60 Month 0% financing vs $3000 rebate.
So 32,400 with 4.9% is $37.161 over the 60 months. $610 payment
Compare to 35,400 at 0% over 60 months. $590 payment.
Caveat: You will save $1200 over the loan if the vehicle is only kept accident free for 60 months.
If you sell it or it's totaled before the 60 months, you are best off taking the $3000 discount

Trade worth $1000 the dealer doesn't even consider if worth money, it goes immediately to the wholesale lot.

Be polite, keep times short, and remember you can walk out (keep your keys in your pocket, dealer love to keep them as they don't want your car but it is a psychological advantage to them).

Options not on the car: Phone up a service department and tell them "I want roof racks added to my 2019 Highlander, how much would that cost?: If they need a VIN, just tell them you are looking to purchase but wanted to add them. In my case, for the Toyota OEM Hitch, I can buy online for $500 (hitch harness shipping). Aftermarket is cheaper, but I like the tucked up hitch and OEM wiring (if the body control module fails, and a non-Toyota wiring harness is used you get into a hassle on warranty. OEM hitch and wiring mean no warranty issues. Dealer Prices and Install is $900, but when buying the car they put it down as a $1500 item. Nope, delete that!

·
Registered
22 Posts
After getting quotes on a Limited Platinum, I’d like to ask your opinion on traveling 3 hours to a different state to get the car I want.

I’m currently evaluating 3 quotes, all close in price for the same color scheme I want. They are in DE, PA and VA.

I live in NY and the car will be registered here.

Is it reasonable to work out a deal with to have the car delivered to a dealership close to me?

Assuming we agree on a price? Should I ask a bill of sale and put a deposit down to ensure the car is mine when I pick it up?

What about insurance as soon as we get in the car and drive up? Do we contact Geico (our ins company) the day before / hour before?

Is there any advice or tips you have for me in this process? The 3h drive equals a 5k discount.

·
Registered
2 Posts
You probably have hit the nail on the head. They are never going to give you their absolutely best price on the phone. You are a nothing to them until you are actually ready to buy. Find a dealer that has an SE that you want. Walk in the front door prepared to buy and ask for the sales manager. Tell him you are there to buy a specific vehicle. If you’ve already driven one, tell him because they will invariably want you to go on a demo ride to get you to fall in love with it. Politely decline and tell him to put the pencil to it and give you his best deal. When the number comes back tell him how much you are willing to pay. If he says he can’t do that, leave him your cell number and tell him you are buying today and was hoping it was gonna be from him. Don’t be afraid to walk. He will either stop you or let you go. If he lets you go you will at least have information for your next stop. The price you want may not be available in the area you live. While not as popular as the hybrid, the SE is in limited production compared to other models.
Whats the TMS discount? I dont see it on their website nor any dealership has responded with that in the truecar offers

I am in Georgia,FYI

·
Registered
738 Posts
Whats the TMS discount? I dont see it on their website nor any dealership has responded with that in the truecar offers

I am in Georgia,FYI
Not quite sure what TMS is from the quote you posted! It’s not in my post. Maybe someone else’s.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Not quite sure what TMS is from the quote you posted! It’s not in my post. Maybe someone else’s.
You are right..Its someone's else post

Its the $3000 discount-I read through the thread and looks like its a discount one is eligible if we dont go through Toyota 0% finance.

Thanks

·
Registered
19 Posts

I am in Georgia,FYI
TMS is Toyota Motor Sales.

We have 10 Toyota and 2 Private Sales Regions in the USA.

So my "factory rebate" stated
"TMS Customer Cash - Gulf $3,000"

So for those of us in Texas, it says TMS Gulf Coast Region is giving $3000 rebate in this region on the Highlander.

If another region, say Oregon State, doesn't have a surplus of inventory they may not offer a rebate.

Hence for Edmunds, Truecar, etc, you are requested to put in your zip code so they can adjust the price per your region. They will adjust their price to reflect that regions rebate. So if cars are MSRP of $43,500 and dealers are giving a $1000 discount, add a $3000 and it will show most customers pay $39,500.

In 2018 I flew into MCI (Kansas City Airport) to by a new Ford High Roof Transit Van from a dealer located in Buckner, MO. Those suckers are shipped by rail, but at just over 9' tall they need special rail cars so hard to find in Texas. Despite buying it in MO, my rebates were based on "home of record" so I got the Texas Rebate, not the MO rebate.

Oh It was the easiest shopping ever, the price was arranged ahead of time, had a set price. Had the dealer set up the loan (they get a rebate of $300 if the consumer keeps the loan at least three months). Sales/Finance/Dealership split that three ways. Fine by me. Everything finalized before I set foot into the dealership.

They picked us up at the airport, my son went through the preinspection delivery while I finalized the paperwork. Out the door within 30 minutes. Class act all the way around.

Sigh, took me about three hours with my local Toyota Dealership (I was getting pissed at the wait for the next person delays). Oh after going over pricing and the game playing I said fine "out the door at this price" OK, now run my credit and give me best option with your financing or 0% financing. They were still working on it after thirty minutes, so I had my keys in my pocket at explained for them to send me a text with the numbers and left. We both knew we had a workable deal, but they didn't want a "$$ for x months" as they wanted to keep it open for the closers.

I'm trying to be reasonable, but they just wear you out so by closing you start agreeing to everything just to get out of there. Screw that! With Honda and Nissan purchases I was in and out in 90 minutes. I'm old enough to know the games, and they should have been Vegas Dealers (very slick operation, but too delays being many mental games).

TIP for anyone buying a new car. Go spend $250 and have your current car detailed. Washed, waxed, interior fully cleaned, fully detailed. It takes the rush out of buying. Now if you a Miata and your wife is due with twins in a month, well your Miata days are over for the next 20 years. (four kids, all in their 20's odds are one of them will get my Highlander in 10 years and appreciate seating for seven).

·
Registered
19 Posts
How does $40,750 before NY taxes (8.875%) sound on a Limited Platinum?
Sounds like a great price.

I put in a NYC zip code and it showed $2000 customer cashback.

Sounds very reasonable.

NY I'd be tempted to look for AWD.

Just glanced at Smithtowns listing (I was up on Long Island) but no Highlander AWD left in stock! If most customers are looking for AWD, and you're happy with FWD (toss on good snow tires) you'll be fine. Like my SE you find the dealer has added a bunch of stuff. :) (Smithtown showed MSRP of $49,672 on the two Platinums in stocks)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I bought my Limited from a local dealer for $39k OTD. So it seems like that XLE seems high for 39k even with those specs. Also, if you do deal with Springfield, don't deal with Paul R.
Can you share the local dealer you bought from? I am also in Springfield.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just bought this week in MD:
2019 XLE AWD
MSRP: $43k
Purchase Price (includes $3000 rebate...before taxes and fees): $34k (20% discount)
One thing I will note - check the doc fees! I live near DC so could pick either VA or MD. VA dealerships had doc fees of $700-$900. MD dealerships were all at $300 (maybe max required by law, not sure). So, VA dealerships were about 1% of MSRP behind right off the bat. One VA dealership actually gave me a better deal on the XLE, but couldn't overcome the difference in doc fee.
Thanks to everyone on this site. In my area at least, 20% was the max...had two dealerships get there and stop. A few other dealerships bowed out at the 18% range.

·
Registered
738 Posts
How does $40,750 before NY taxes (8.875%) sound on a Limited Platinum?
Depends on MSRP. If it’s a base Platinum and this is after rebates it’s high. If it’s before rebates it's a good price. Thought you ended up buying used!

2621 - 2640 of 2756 Posts