Toyota Nation Forum banner

2881 - 2900 of 2905 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Before I go into local dealers (NJ NY area) can someone tell me if this is crazy?
2019 XLE flexible on colors, no special add-ons except roof bars (350) and tow hitch receiver (699) 1049 total. Pre-sales tax out the door if I go into a dealer at 36,000 (35,000 without my two accessories) (out the door is 38,500 due to tax). Seems like many are going for 35k or so pre tax, so if I tell the dealer I will buy at 36,000 with these two accessories I am realistic? Not too aggressive, not leaving tons on the table? Thanks so much in advance
It's realistic and I believe that your price can even come down. I got the XLE a few weeks ago with cross bars, all weather mats, cargo cover, bumper guard, wheel locks
Been reading this forum (thanks to all!!), and looking for a 2019 XLE, pretty flexible on color/style/trim, etc and also on timing... given the 2020's are starting to come out more and more, am I better to act soon (for year end deals etc), or wait until the first quarter when people really want to move the older model off the lots? Seems like a many of these are going for just over 38k OTD (35kish before tax)... any hopes that being flexible on time will improve that much with the new model (NYC area, can shop in NJ or NYC). Thanks to all!!
We purchased an XLE a few weeks ago with cross bars, mats, bumper guard, edge protectors, cargo cover, and wheel locks for $34,603 before taxes. Called 9 dealerships and called back next day to ask for 2nd round bids. One dealer offered $34,4XX but I wasn't a fan of their color. Most dealers got down to 80% of MSRP.

Costco pricing was just as competitive as doing all the hard work.

Also consider after market cross bars. They can be nicer and cheaper than Toyota's and are apparently easy to install. We didn't know this when we bought the car.

·
Registered
11 Posts
It's realistic and I believe that your price can even come down. I got the XLE a few weeks ago with cross bars, all weather mats, cargo cover, bumper guard, wheel locks

We purchased an XLE a few weeks ago with cross bars, mats, bumper guard, edge protectors, cargo cover, and wheel locks for $34,603 before taxes. Called 9 dealerships and called back next day to ask for 2nd round bids. One dealer offered $34,4XX but I wasn't a fan of their color. Most dealers got down to 80% of MSRP.

Also consider after market cross bars. They can be nicer and cheaper than Toyota's and are apparently easy to install. We didn't know this when we bought the car.

Thanks, these are both great info for me to get this done!

I am handy enough to do aftermarket on Hitch (Uhaul seems to do it for $250 vs 699) and cross bars (brightlines $129 vs 650), but wondered if particularly on the hitch, having Toyota do it leads to a more reliable wiring/less issues... tempted to save the money

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks, these are both great info for me to get this done!

I am handy enough to do aftermarket on Hitch (Uhaul seems to do it for $250 vs 699) and cross bars (brightlines $129 vs 650), but wondered if particularly on the hitch, having Toyota do it leads to a more reliable wiring/less issues... tempted to save the money
I'd like a hitch too for my bike rack. I had one from Uhaul on my last car (2010 CRV), and it prevented further damage when it was rear ended. Only thing is that it was rusty.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bought 2019 Highlander Limited AWD
Black Exterior, Saddle Tan Interior
+Options Added
-- Door bumper guards (side door & door edge)
-- All Weather Floor Mats

MSRP $45825
Paid: $39818 including $2500 Cash Back

+Tax, Title, $300 doc fee out the door $43977

I found this thread useful. I negotiated price based on other offers from nearby dealers
which help lower price from quoted $40344 to $39818. I felt like there was more room
to haggle but I was satisfied.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am looking to purchase a 2019 Highlander. I am between the SE (black) or XLE (blizzard pearl with captain seats) depending on which I can get a better deal on. I am in PA about an hour from Pittsburgh. Right now I am communicating with several dealerships between the 2 models and none of them have budged on their price and the prices between dealers are very different. One dealership quoted my $39, 900 for the SE and $39, 200 for the XLE. The other dealership I've mainly been in contact with is at $40,000 for the SE and $38,900 for the XLE but they have to get the XLE in. At the point I'm unsure on how to proceed in order to get the best price. We are planning a trip to the dealership on Monday as we have read that the last week and Monday are the best times to negotiate. Should I just stop emailing and just start visiting the dealerships? Any advice on how to proceed is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am looking to purchase a 2019 Highlander. I am between the SE (black) or XLE (blizzard pearl with captain seats) depending on which I can get a better deal on. I am in PA about an hour from Pittsburgh. Right now I am communicating with several dealerships between the 2 models and none of them have budged on their price and the prices between dealers are very different. One dealership quoted my $39, 900 for the SE and $39, 200 for the XLE. The other dealership I've mainly been in contact with is at $40,000 for the SE and $38,900 for the XLE but they have to get the XLE in. At the point I'm unsure on how to proceed in order to get the best price. We are planning a trip to the dealership on Monday as we have read that the last week and Monday are the best times to negotiate. Should I just stop emailing and just start visiting the dealerships? Any advice on how to proceed is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Have you thought about travelling outside your area to get a better deal?

You could save over 2k if you do that.

Also, check toyota.com to see if they still have the $2000 cash discount available in your area.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Don't go into the dealer until you have negotiated a price. Call 10 dealers (incl the ones that you have spoken with) and let them know that you plan to purchase a vehicle in the next few days and tell them that you are looking for their best price and are calling several dealers to ask for bids today and will call back tomorrow for a 2nd round tomorrow. You will purchase from the lowest price dealer.

Don't ask for 2 different models. Figure out what you want first. 2 models and 2 colors means that you uncertain and may not be buying.

Ask for their email address and send all your specs. Ask for their bid via email.

Or, join Costco and they will connect you with a local dealer who will provide you with set pricing for whatever they have in stock. Costco was very competitive when I purchased my vehicle in Dec 2019. You can use their price to begin your negotiation. Note that the Costco dealer will not budge on their price.

And know the dealer's inventory before you call by researching their website. Tell them that you like black, pearl, X and Y (make sure they have at least 1 of these 4 colors on their lot so they can easily make their initial bid). On day 2, let them know of your best offer and then tell them that you have your heart set on blizzard pearl. They will try to get you to tell them what price you obtained for that color but don't be too forthcoming if you have not obtained a great price for that color. Give them your best offer instead. At this point they will suggest a dealer trade. Some dealers wanted to charge me $500 for this and others were willing to do it for free. This is def not their preferred option and depends how badly they want your business.

Finally, contact the dealer with the vehicle that you want LAST on Day 2 after you have collected as much data as possible.

Good luck!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks to this forum, I went to a few dealerships in the NY / Atlantic region. 2019 Highlander XLE. The ones closer to NY seemed smaller inventories and less willing to make a deal than the higher volume ones further out which had more inventory. The general advice here is great--- do some research, try to see if the dealer is willing to "make a deal" (more likely now with higher inventories as if you only have a few XLE left you figure someone may pay more). I was flexible on color (grey and silver and black seem so be what is now most left of the 2019s). I went in with a price of 36k, (2019 XLE Grey/Mica, black interior, no add-ons) and stuck to it, pre TT&L and got that on the third dealer I went to. Only small NYS fees (registration/plates, $2.50 tire fee, etc) plus sales tax on top. Maybe there was a bit of room on it if I wanted to spend much more time which I don't have, but many of the dealers around me were sticking to 37k and let me walk away, so maybe this area/this timing is harder than other posts recently.
You seem to be only able to go so far on internet reach-outs. It may give you a sense of inventory, but as people said, phone calls or visits (and being clear on the willingness to go to another dealer) ended up being how I made progress.

Thanks to all who helped!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Another huge thank you to the forum members.

Purchased a 2019 Highlander XLE.
Total MSRP of $43,267.
Unit price of $37,000. ($6,267 discount).
Regional rebate of $2000.
Final sales price of $35,000.
Document Fee of $459

I see no point in listing sales tax and registration fees. The dealer and buyer have no control over how these are added once the unit price is determined.

Emailed the dealer for unit price prior to rebate, and asked them what their document fee is. Targeted a specific vehicle in their inventory. Attempted to negotiate for a lower price thru email, was politely told that it was possible, but further discounts would only happen if I visited the showroom. My wife and I went and looked at the color combinations and options they had on the lot after hours and decided on a vehicle with a $348 higher MSRP. We went back when they were open and were able to negotiate for the vehicle we wanted with the higher MSRP for the same unit price as we received in our initial email offer. I think sticking to that round number of $37,000 helped in our situation.

In the end, we got the vehicle with the color combination and options we wanted. Could we have done better? I’m sure. But if you told me last summer I could get $8267 off the MSRP, I would have been thrilled. Finally, we obtained an offer to finance for 60 months at 2.89%. We politely declined all “dealer add-ons” by repeatedly saying we would think about them at home and that we wouldn’t be making a decision today.

Thanks to all who posted their experiences here! It was tremendously helpful in changing the process of buying a car from something I absolutely dreaded, into something almost pleasant.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Need some advice . I am buying 2019 xle awd hybrid in NJ.
What is good otd price ? One dealer didn't agree for 38,500 otd and
other is asking for 39,800 otd.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Costco's price was $37,197 for the hybrid XLE in December at Del Toyota outside Philly. We decided to go with the gas XLE instead. Called Toyota service. They are seeing 2007-2009s coming in now for battery replacements. $5800 for the Highlander! Resale prices also drop below the gas models by Year 8 so keep this in mind before you purchase the 2019 gas model.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Costco's price was $37,197 for the hybrid XLE in December at Del Toyota outside Philly. We decided to go with the gas XLE instead. Called Toyota service. They are seeing 2007-2009s coming in now for battery replacements. $5800 for the Highlander! Resale prices also drop below the gas models by Year 8 so keep this in mind before you purchase the 2019 gas model.
Does $37,197 include Tms rebate?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bought 2019 Highlander Limited AWD
Black Exterior, Saddle Tan Interior
+Options Added
-- Door bumper guards (side door & door edge)
-- All Weather Floor Mats

MSRP $45825
Paid: $39818 including $2500 Cash Back

+Tax, Title, $300 doc fee out the door $43977

I found this thread useful. I negotiated price based on other offers from nearby dealers
which help lower price from quoted $40344 to $39818. I felt like there was more room
to haggle but I was satisfied.
Question: is the $39,818 figure after the $2,500 cash back?

·
Registered
2 Posts

Good price - Which dealership gave you this price? Any tips to get this number in NY/NJ region?
Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Been awhile since I have been in and couldn’t remember all my other credentials so created a new account. Anyways waited this long knowing that I was flexible on color and option to get a good deal on a 19 highlander but dealers in this area are being stingy still. It’s an okay deal but reading on here deals had last month and even December makes me not want to pull the trigger:

offer 1
XLE AWD Ooh La La with tan interior
Toyoguard platinum (don’t care, I hate that most dealers around here add this)
Clear Paint Protection: Full Hood
Carpet and Cargo Mats
Euro Running Boards
Phone Cable

MSRP 44,469
Offer: 36,091 before tax, doc fee etc

Offer 2
XLE AWD Gray with ash gray
Dealer Special Package
Window Tint
Door Edge Guard and Rear Bumper Guard (Film)

MSRP 44,505
Offer: 36,331 before tax et

Waiting on third dealer and told them these offers trying to see what they can do

trying to get it down another 1k to 35....any suggestions?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Been awhile since I have been in and couldn’t remember all my other credentials so created a new account. Anyways waited this long knowing that I was flexible on color and option to get a good deal on a 19 highlander but dealers in this area are being stingy still. It’s an okay deal but reading on here deals had last month and even December makes me not want to pull the trigger:

offer 1
XLE AWD Ooh La La with tan interior
Toyoguard platinum (don’t care, I hate that most dealers around here add this)
Clear Paint Protection: Full Hood
Carpet and Cargo Mats
Euro Running Boards
Phone Cable

MSRP 44,469
Offer: 36,091 before tax, doc fee etc

Offer 2
XLE AWD Gray with ash gray
Dealer Special Package
Window Tint
Door Edge Guard and Rear Bumper Guard (Film)

MSRP 44,505
Offer: 36,331 before tax et

Waiting on third dealer and told them these offers trying to see what they can do

trying to get it down another 1k to 35....any suggestions?
MSRP seems higher . Check MSRP here for 2019 XLE awd .

·
Registered
4 Posts
MSRP seems higher . Check MSRP here for 2019 XLE awd .
I thought it was a little high too but I thinks it’s with add on stuff. I am a Costco member which is what I started with and there is one dealer in my area that participated and that’s one I got an offer from but thought I could do same or hopefully better than Costco

I did get another offer from dealer that gave me the grey price; it was for a FWD green one for 34,500.....better price but shouldn’t have to sacrifice AWD, going to see if they can do the grey for 35,500

·
Registered
4 Posts
Third dealer came in at 38,686 for similar to above options and there XLE was only FWD

the grey one I like more and the dealer when I sent them offer I had on the red one said they would do an even 36k. Going to try to work on their 699 doc fee - either split the cost with me or wave it and now bring up trade and push for more on that end. Would be trading a 2012 Camry XLE V6 with only 75k miles on it but KBB says only worth 8500 which sucks cause that cars sticker price was a little over 34 new and I paid 28,500.

2881 - 2900 of 2905 Posts