Toyota Nation Forum banner

41 - 60 of 2639 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
If you go with car buying service of penfed it is my understanding you will not get as good of a price. I tried it but ended up getting low rate not using service. Hopefully I am mistaken but that was my experience with Penfed.
Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
I think you're correct: the Costco price the dealer gave me was a couple of hundred dollars lower than the price provided by PenFed's car buying service. BUT the buying service can be used to knock more than 1% off your loan rate (through PenFed). Here's how:
1. Negotiate your price with the dealer.
2. Go to PenFed's car buying service and enter your info.
3. You'll be sent to a web page with a "savings certificate" which you are supposed to give to the dealer. My particular certificate was for $2519 off MSRP for the Limited Platinum AWD. But like I said, the Costco price was a better deal, so I didn't even bother printing the certificate.
4. Record the number of the certificate. When you finalize your loan with PenFed, give them the certificate number to get the lower rate (in my case, 0.74%).

It took a total of about 5 minutes to save more than 1% on my loan rate. Not a bad use of time.

·
Registered
849 Posts
I think you're correct: the Costco price the dealer gave me was a couple of hundred dollars lower than the price provided by PenFed's car buying service. BUT the buying service can be used to knock more than 1% off your loan rate (through PenFed). Here's how:
1. Negotiate your price with the dealer.
2. Go to PenFed's car buying service and enter your info.
3. You'll be sent to a web page with a "savings certificate" which you are supposed to give to the dealer. My particular certificate was for $2519 off MSRP for the Limited Platinum AWD. But like I said, the Costco price was a better deal, so I didn't even bother printing the certificate.
4. Record the number of the certificate. When you finalize your loan with PenFed, give them the certificate number to get the lower rate (in my case, 0.74%).

It took a total of about 5 minutes to save more than 1% on my loan rate. Not a bad use of time.
Thank you for the clarification. The price I was given by Penfed was nearly $2000 more than I had previously negotiated with one dealer. I just figured it was not worth the time so I never even pursued the certificate. I guess my haste to get the deal done was to my detriment. Glad it worked for you. We actually have 2 car loans and our home mortgage with Penfed. Their no fee refinance was too good to pass up, especially at 2.75%.

·
Registered
9 Posts
MBX -

I didn't really do more than request an e-quote from that dealership. They came back with that quote and I tried to use it at dealerships closer to my house but none of those would come within $1000 of that price. So the trade off to get a better price and drive about 40 miles one way seemed decent.

Forgot to add: this is from a very large dealership here in MA and when we asked the salesperson why the price was so low, we were told it was because the owner purchases large quantities of inventory with cash and hence lowers the price. Whether that's true or not, who knows.

·
Registered
130 Posts
MBX -

I didn't really do more than request an e-quote from that dealership. They came back with that quote and I tried to use it at dealerships closer to my house but none of those would come within $1000 of that price. So the trade off to get a better price and drive about 40 miles one way seemed decent.

Forgot to add: this is from a very large dealership here in MA and when we asked the salesperson why the price was so low, we were told it was because the owner purchases large quantities of inventory with cash and hence lowers the price. Whether that's true or not, who knows.
If you don't mind PMing me the name of the dealership, I would appreciate it. I'm in MA as well. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
354 Posts
My Blizzard Pearl's price

1. Specify Model - XLE

2. Specify: 2WD

3. Base price (36,040),Destination(860$) Extra add ons(special color 395$, carpet mats and cargo liner 230$) Total:37,525

4: Your location. So. CAL

I got an awesome deal. Got the price of the vehicle for 34,500$ plus tax(2766$) and License(334$).

So otd no more than 38k. With that i also got lifetime oil changes, 1 free car wash every week with or without any service.And the best free TIRES for life!!

Wow. Excellent deal. Nice job.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Blizzard Pearl / Almond Interior, Platinum Package with All the options. They are hard to come by in the SF Bay Area.
I finally found one but Ouch... $46602 MSRP. Invoice (according to True Car) is $43200. Dealer is wiling to do $$44000 (incl. destination) +tax & DMV. No body is willing to deal much on the car they don't have and have to get from somewhere else.

What do guys think?

Thanks

·
Registered
47 Posts
$800 over invoice on a $44K vehicle and its not in your garage yet? I'd jump on it. I just paid $1,200 over invoice to get the one I liked at the dealership. It was the only XLE (they had a few LE Plus in different colors) and had just come in that day... didn't want to take a chance on missing it... they've been flying off the lot. I offered $1,000 under Edmunds "True Market Value" which was about $2400 under MSRP. I'm sure there are better deals to be had, but I thought it was worth it for a brand new model design.

·
Registered
354 Posts
FWD XLE Predawn Gray Mica, Grey Interior 2nd Row Bench, No options (so as base as it gets for an XLE)
MSRP- $36,955
Got the price down to $33,992 plus Tax, Tag, Titile

Decided to buy the carpet mats off eBay for a fraction of the cost.
Great price.

·
Registered
135 Posts
FWD XLE Predawn Gray Mica, Grey Interior 2nd Row Bench, No options (so as base as it gets for an XLE)
MSRP- $36,955

Congratulations on your new. HL, great deal! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
706 Posts
MSRP- $36,955

Awesome price! wish i could've gotten my price as close as yours, but you cant beat 34,500 with all added incentives.

·
2014 Highlander XLE Owner
86 Posts
Hello everyone
This is a great site and thread
It helped me a lot in the purchase of a new Highlander
THANKS
Picked up the new car yesterday
Really did not want the DVD but that is what was in stock
Traded in a 2009 Venza

2014 XLE V6
Alumina Jade
Almond Interior
Captain Chairs
Running boards
Mud Flaps
All Weather Mats
Blue Ray DVD player
Body Side Moldings
MSRP 41659
Bought 38500 plus TTL
FWD or AWD?

·
Registered
356 Posts
Thought I would update my price info since I just picked up my new one a couple of hours ago. The price I posted earlier is what I thought I was paying and today I was surprised to see it was even less.

XLE FWD
7 pass carpet mats
Body side molding
Captain chairs
Special color

MSRP $38173

Paid $34188 +TTL

Total discount $3985
Wow great discount! Anyone in the South get close to 4k off sticker? In SE TX here, and only managed 3k off after haggling several dealerships. Thx.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hey Aarvee - Great deal! I'm in Hoboken and Costco told me to go to Lee's in Brooklyn. Lee's said they don't offer the Costco buying program with the new HL. Which Queens dealership participates in this?
Can't wait to finally purchase the Limited Platinum this month!
Hi dbworker,

I'm sorry, I missed your message.

I got Lees Toyota from Costco too, and that's where I bought the HL from. They said the same thing to me - I told them that 2014 HL was listed on Costco website, and they should double check. They came back with the Costco price :)

BTW, they also have good prices on Edmunds Price Promise section - you can also check & quote that price. In case of my HL, it was the same as Costco price!

Hope this info is not too late. Good luck with your purchase..

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just got a USAA certificate quote for $41.2 for a FWD Limited with driver tech, bluray, and remote start. Assuming this is a good price from what I can tell in this thread.

Question though, there is nothing in stock in my area except a couple of platinums and some LE's. Would I still be able to get this deal on an ordered vehicle?

·
Official TN Member
73 Posts
Very good price, Lupi. My dealer honored a Consumer Reports "certificate" even though the vehicle is not in stock. Remember, the price in the certificate is quoted from the listed dealer. It's their number for crying out loud.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

41 - 60 of 2639 Posts
About this Discussion
2.6K Replies
767 Participants
Tomkeo
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing