Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Folks,

I have a 2011 Prius with 129k miles on the clock. I am experiencing the brake clunk/thump noise when exercising brake pedal to stop followed with typical energizing sound (in a bit of non coasting/regenerative type of stop). I am certain that this from brake booster/accumulator assembly( below the fuse box in engine bay)
I vaguely remember this noise being present super occasioanlly, but lately it seems to be getting more pronounced.

My brakes (disks and pads) are good and were installed in last 18 months, new tires in last 6-7 months suspension components are good and the Toyota technician itself confirmed about the noises being abnormal themselves and easy to replicate during test drive. But, so far functionality is not affected.

I am trying to understand/gauge the brake clink/clunk noise to see if any part(brake booster/accumulator) is about to fail, unfortunately Toyota wouldn't cover it as there is no error codes or lights.

Toyota tech did apply newer s/w for brake accumulator/assembly to see if the noises would away, but it didn't.

CSB: ZJB

I am looking to see if this being expericienced y others as well and for how long, if this noise is to be taken as tell-tale sign.

Video capture of the noise/sound:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had a 2010 with issues. It was running every 15 seconds. I traded it. I heard it can be almost $4k to fix. BUT, I believe there is a "good will" warranty at the dealer. https://www.toyoheadquarters.com/threads/2010-2015-toyota-prius-and-prius-phv-coverage-brake-booster-pump-assemblies-csp-zjb.1391/

also:
Thank you, unfortunately, they revised the policy two days before I brought for requiring error codes to be present, how long did you have this issue before trading it in, trying to think if it's nuance that has to be lived with or for sure it's leading towards failure.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Thank you, unfortunately, they revised the policy two days before I brought for requiring error codes to be present, how long did you have this issue before trading it in, trying to think if it's nuance that has to be lived with or for sure it's leading towards failure.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts